Thread: Burnside nipple removal??

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Burnside nipple removal??

Working on getting an original nipple that is rusted in out so I can put new one in. I'm soaking in Kroil but it is
    resisting my efforts with a standard musket nipple wrench. I am going to continue to soak in penetrate but
    was hoping that some of you might have dealt with this issue before. Would like to get a proper fitting wrench
    on the flats of the nipple but the way the nipple is seated down in the breech block prevents it.

Any suggestions??--Steve W.

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    09575v
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Heat it with a torn, then hit with small amounts of kroil then heat again and try to get it out
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter

rachbobo is offline Banned
    Team:
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Burnside nipple removal

Heat and penetrating oil work fine. But if it is real stubborn try an easy out broken screw extractor. You drill out the flash hole to accept the easy out then tap the extractor in and unscrew it.
    You can put a sleeve on the drill bit to limit how deep it will go to prevent digging into the barrel and only drill to the end of the nipple.
    After drilling out the flash hole heat it up and oil it then put the easy out in and it should come right out.

Bill Cheek

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Burnside Nipple Removal

Thanks to Joe and BIll--I am going to try both of these methods--was hoping to save the original nipple but it has to go--Steve

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Nipple

It will come out. but first you must have the correct tool, one can be made from a 1/4 inch socket cut out between flats on back of the socket then use an Allen wrench in front side say 1/4th inch as well have had good luck making these as there are only 2 flats on that nipple heat oil 2,3,4 time until it breaks free. Hope this works for you. working on one myself. R Filbert Hazelwood Vol.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I use a 1/4? socket with the square side on the nipple and an Allen wrench in the socket end.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Take the cube shaped block out of the breech block and chuck it up in a drill press vise angled such that the nipple is straight up and down. You will probably want to pad the vise jaws with leather or lead sheet. Put a nipple wrench on the nipple and bring the drill chuck down against the nipple wrench and lock the spindle in the down position. Depending on what wrench you end up using, you might even be able to chuck the wrench in the drill chuck. What you are looking for is downward pressure to keep the wrench from slipping off the nipple. Once it breaks loose a hair, run it back in, and run it out a little more and then back in. Use your Kroil or whatever in between. Keep working it out a little at a time and screwing it back in to help break loose the corrosion and not gall up the threads. Hopefully, it will free up so you can do it by hand. If not, you will have to keep raising the spindle up a little and lock it back in place.

By the way, I'm thinking original Burnside nipples had two flats instead of a square, kinda like an overgrown revolver nipple.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Oh heck, I just realized we are all responding to an 11 year old thread......

Region:
    Visitor

nipple

Still very good information!! I have been following it also did not notice it was an old thread.