Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which CW percussion carbine (orig/antique) for shooting?

Which CW percussion carbine (orig/antique) for shooting?

Hi!
    I´m new on this board. I´m from Sweden and collect and shoot antique percussion revolvers. Have been for 20 or so years now. I hang out a lot at the Antiqueguns.com message board, and the guys there sent me in this direction.
    The thing is that I want to purchase an original/antique Civil War breachloading percussion carbine for my collection, but also for some occasional target shooting (just for fun though).
    It needs to be antique and percussion due to gunlaws here in Sweden. I have permits for and shoot/compete with modern pistols, revolvers and rifles, but every permit is a pain to get, and I´ve reached a point where I´d need to get rid of something to get something new. I´m only telling you this to make it clear why a modern firing replica isn´t an option for me since a replica requires a permit here.

These carbines are totally new to me, so my questions may be very basic to you guys, but any and all advice is welcome.

So, question is what carbine to get?
    The guys at Antiqueguns indicated that a Smith might be the best way to go, and I really like the look of it, so that´s definitely an option that I´m considering.
    The "typical" carbine however in my mind would be a Sharps (not so important to me which model). So that´s another strong contender.
    The Burnside has a serious look to it, so while not as sleek and beautiful as the Smith, and not as "typical" as the Sharps, it´s definitely on the list.
    I think I´ve understood (thanks to the guys at Antiqueguns) how these three different carbines basically function.

Are there any other carbines that I should consider? Please remember that I intend to shoot it occasionally, so it shouldn´t be to awkward to operate, or to difficult to make loads for. The mechanical integrity (risk of need for gunsmithing) is definitely one consideration.
    If you do suggest any other carbines, please make a short basic description how they work mechanically and how they´re loaded (metallic, plastic or paper cartridge, or loose powder and ball).

In other words, have I allready got the best three options on my list, and if so, which of those three is the better option, and why?
    Or should I look at something else, and if so what?

Regards!
    Anders Olsson

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I would highly recomend the Smith, and my second choice would be a Maynard. Both can be loaded with brass or plastic cases.
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

While definitely "uglier" (forgive me! :lol: ) than any of the three I´ve allready got on my list, it does look like it meens business, I like it! Thanks Pastore, it goes on the list!

While we´re on the subject, yet another question. I know that Dixie has both brass and plastic cartridges for the Smith (don´t know about any of the other carbines), but I have a feeling that they may not be the "best" place to buy. I´ve bought from them before, and felt that their service was good, but I suspect that you guys may have better sources for cartridges, bullets and bullet moulds and so on. Any websites you could recomend?

Anders Olsson

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Sutlers

At the top of the page click on the "N-SSA Home Page" , when that loads click on "Links of interest" and check out the sutlers section.

This will give you a place to start.
    Paul D. Stoneburner 08037-V
    Mosby's Rangers 029 TW
    N-SSA Sutler Officer

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Burnside Carbine for Sale

Anders,

I have a 5th Model Burnsides carbine that has some collectors value, but not pristine to the point you are going to destory its value by shooting it. It comes with ten Brass burnside cases (unfired). If you are interested, email me at

har3rdus@verizon.net

and we can discuss pictures, price, condition, shipping, payment and all the other good things that comes with selling a firearm.

True blue and diamond Hard,
    Harry

Thanks Frog!

Harry, you have mail!

Anders Olsson

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Carbine

The Sharps has always been my favorite. It gives you a much wider choice of powder loads. You can laod it lite for plinking or up the powder for Buffalo ! Smiths are 2nd in my opinion....they are more in the pistol power range...and they sometimes develop problems with lock up...
    Of course you pay for what you get. I always get the best my wallet can afford....Do it right the first time!!! Get a Sharps !
    STEVE DANISH

Thanks Steve for your input!
    The Sharps is probably still my favourite option, not least because I think that it is the carbine most closely associated with the CW, at least for those of us who are not very knowledgeable. I´m familiar with most types of revolvers from the era, since that is my true interest, the carbines haven´t come into the picture until the last couple of months (although I was aware of their existance of corse) and more out of curiosity. I don´t expect there´ll ever be more than one carbine in my collection (I´d like to incorporate a percussion rifled musket also).

Anyhow, while the Sharps probably is something of a favourite, the Smith isn´t far behind. The Smith has something that most of the carbines (including the Sharps) lack, and that is "classic" good sleek looks.
    Price is an issue also, or should I say price and condition. I´d rather get a really good Smith (or one of the others) than a "so and so" Sharps. The budget for this isn´t unlimited.

Otherwise, I´m well aware that you´re right, there´s no use in saving money by buying a gun questionable condition, especcially as I intend to actually shoot it occasionally.

Regards!
    Anders Olsson

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Swede:

Glad to see you found your way over here. We have traded posts on this subject, over at Antuque guns, and I had talked about the Smith Carbine. You are definitely in the right place. You will find a multitude of experienced shooters, willing to answer all your questions about any of the available carbines. If its approved, it is shot by someone on this board.

I think you will find that the Smith vs Sharps crowds are the most lively. Then there are the Maynard-obsessed...very colorful. Just make sure you dont ask about the Starr (tomato stake), unless you want to see fireworks.

Best of luck finding your carbine. I know you will have fun with it.

PS: You may find that someone here may have a carbine that you can purchase. Please feel safe doing business with anyone in the N-SSA. You will be dealt with honestly, and fairly, without exception.

ddisher
    110th OVI

10. What about the Starr?!? :P

Sorry, couldn´t help myself! :lol:

Thanks ddisher, I allready feel at home here!
    I have a contact in the US from which I buy most of my revolvers (and I´ve bought a lot of them), and he´ll get back to me in a few days with what he has, or can get for me.
    However, I´ve allready been contacted by a couple of other potential sellers, and am awaiting descriptions, pictures and pricing for those carbines.

I should be making a purchase (or at leat putting the final details towards one) sometime late next week at the latest.

Anders Olsson