Thread: 1859 Harpers Ferry musket with patchbox?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

1859 Harpers Ferry musket with patchbox?

I've talked with different collectors over the years on this subject and most say a Harpers Ferry model 55 musket, dated 1859 should not have a patchbox. I keep coming across examples dated 59 (with matching dates on barrel and lock) that do have it. One can't rule out that parts have been mixed, but over the years I've seen at least a half dozen examples.
    The order to add the patchbox was made late in 59, I can't find an exact date now but seems it was october or november. Since the patchbox was already available, could they have been added before the new year of 1860 rolled around?
    Any input appreciated.

2. Re: 1859 Harpers Ferry musket with patchbox?

I don't know the exact date that the patch box was authorized, but Springfield Armory was notified in April, 1859, to "so arrange operations that the least possible loss and confusion shall attend the change [to the patch box] when directed to take place."

Six months later (October 29, 1859), Springfield Armory reported that commencement had begun on forgings for patch boxes, and in November a machine would be completed to inlet the wood for the patch box. So, it appears that rifle-muskets made late in 1859 at Springfield could have patch boxes on them.

Of course, your question was about Harper's Ferry made rifle-muskets. Since we know the approval was some time before October 29, 1859, and that Harper's Ferry was already set up for the patch box, it would seem logical to me that Harper's Ferry could begin to install them before Springfield. So, to answer your question, I would say yes, an 1859 dated rifle-musket could have had a patch box installed at the armory.

John Gross

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Re: 1859 Harpers Ferry musket with patchbox?

GPM,

I don't know what collectors you have talked to, but they don't seem on top of even 50 year old info.

Patchboxes were on the late production '55 rifle muskets. In fact. there was an odd round patchbox that was supposed to be used on the 1861 Models.

I will have to find my copy of Paul Davies' Richmond Arsenal book- As I remember, it had a list of PARTS captured at Harper's Ferry. Patchboxes were in this inventory and some of the transition from Harper's Ferry to Richmond HAD the patchbox. Whether these were stocks already carved and then used, I have no idea.

Do a bit more research.

Digger
    R.C. "Digger" Huntoon
    N-SSA # 1504V - 1970 - present
    1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Keep in mind that Harpers Ferry was the "R & D" armory before the war. They had also been producing Mississippi Rifles which required a machine that would inlet the patchbox mortice in the Mississippi's gunstock.

As the Mississippi was out of production by the time the '55 patchbox was adopted, it might have just been a simple matter of modifying the machine that formerly cut Mississippi stock mortices, to cut the mortices for the '55 patchboxes in stocks-thereby allowing Harpers Ferry to produce a fair amount of '55 rifles with patchboxes in 1859!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Bob, I think you should re-read my original post. It was not a generic model 1855 musket question but pertained to a certain year.
    John and Southron , thanks for your input.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Gents,

A bit late chiming in here on the subject, M1855 patchboxes.

It would be my first thought of a transition varient could be what your seeing. I also do not believe there is any existing artifact that would tells us the new design, rounded patchbox ever made it into production. We do know, taken from Paul J. Davies," CS Armory Richmond," the M1855 parts production, including lockplates were still being produced until capture in 1861 at Harpers Ferry.

Respectfully,
    George Taggart

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

I agree, My thoughts are in-line with John's. It makes sense that Harpers Ferry could switch over quickly once the order was issued, perhaps two months of production in 1859 may have had the patchbox.