Thread: GOEX 2F

GOEX 2F

Has anyone experienced excessively dirty bores with recent lots of GOEX 2F? I'm not sure if it's the culprit, but he's what I have. A relatively new Whitacre
    rifled .69 cal., less than 50 rounds through it over three range sessions, so I'd consider it still in the break in period. Each time I've cleaned, the hot soapy water routine easily takes care of the black gunk but what's left behind and takes alot of scrubbing is a brownish residue that only shows up when I use a patch over an oversize brush with a solvent. I did this after regular cleaning the first time just to be sure I got everything. It keeps showing up. I thought it might be rust, but the barrel is always dry and swabbed with Rig before I put it away. Could it be the powder, or perhaps
    some oil residue from the machining?

Thanks,

Duane

Re: GOEX 2F

Duane,

Some steels will rust through Rig. I used to have that issue with the old Douglas roundball barrels. You might try using the yellow stuff instead. You know, Bore Butter, Wonder Lube 1000 plus, you know what I mean.
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Re: GOEX 2F

I was a loyal Goex customer for years, usually buying cases of the 3Fg flavor.

What I noticed was that some "Lots" of Goex varied from other "Lots" but that is to be expected with black powder because it is a "mixture" rather than a "compound." Unfortunately, some of the "Lots" varied considerably

Then in 2009, the German company Wano improved their "Schutzen" line of black powder. I have tried it and I liked it. Schutzen is made utilizing Alder Buckthorn charcoal which is supposed to leave a fouling that is more "moist" and easily cleaned than either Goex or Diamondback fouling.

When I was still using Goex, I too would push a patch down the bore of a musket that had been cleaned, oiled and put away a week or so before and the patch would come out with a "brown" discoloration on it. Usually I was using either 3 in 1 oil or Rem Oil. I switched to "Break Free" sold under the Winchester brand at Wal-Mart and after that, my patches come out clean after the musket had been put away for a while.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Re:The "Break In" Period

I have purchased several .58 caliber Whitacre barrels over the years. They are excellent barrels made on the (rebuilt several times) legendary Weisz Rifling Machine.

Yep, there is definitely a "Break In" period with the Whitacre barrels because when the barrel gets hot oil from the threads of the breech section and oil from the threads of the breech plug migrate into the barrel, sometimes causing misfires. After 100 or so rounds, the "Break-In" period should be complete and you should have a very accurate barrel.