Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moose milk

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

moose milk

Can someone send me the mixture for moosemilk. It seems as if there are about 10 different mixtures on the Internet - what is the best one? Send it to mosby1862@cox.net.
    Thanks
    Dutch Schoenfeld
    Mosby's Rangers
    Dutch Schoenfeld
    Mosby's Rangers
    PM Botetourt Lodge #7, Gloucester VA

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Re: moose milk

I've used a mixture of 1/3rd rubbing alcohol, 1/3 rd Murphy oil soap, and 1/3rd hydrogen peroxide for many years. It works very well, it is cheap but it isn't moose milk. (What do we call this - the unnamed mixture?) I used other things for years, but I never found anything better if you are only removing black powder residue. However, if you are only using patches to remove residue form a muzzle loading barrel, it will not get it all from the breach. Even though it only a few patches come out clean, there will be some residue at the breach that will start pitting. And I doubt if this mixture will remove lead.

If you use it in a Henry or another breach loader, the unnamed mixture will get the residue out of the barrel.

If you use a smokeless powder in cartridges for shooting outside the N-SSA, I would clean with Hoppes or something else made for smokeless powder after the unnamed mixture.

Good luck,

David
    DAVID FRANCE

Dutch,
    1 part water soluble oil, 1 part Lestoil, 1 part hydrogen peroxide (optional), 1 part isopropol alcohol (optional), 8 parts water. The H2O2 promotes mixing and the alcohol lowers the freezing point. I forget whether you add the water to the oil or the other way around, but only one way works. Ask the guy you get the oil from. Hope this helps.
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Here is the link to the original manufacturer of the product known as "Moose Milk".

http://winchestersutler.com/ShotLoad.html#CLN

Hope this helps,
    Blair

5. Re: moose milk

Winshield washer fluid works great and it dries in minutes and it's cheap! It stops corrosive action of BP and costs $3.99 a gallon.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

The 1/3rd part solution containing Hydrogen Peroxide will harm the oil finish on muskets. I switched to egual parts of Murphy Oil soap and Isoprol Alcohol, it works just fime, I also add a shot of Simple Green.

Ken Chrestman,7147V
    FEC, Tennessee
    Ken Chrestman

Region:

Ken,

What is Simple?

David
    DAVID FRANCE

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

What Ken meant by using the green face is the product is simple green, a cleaning solution that is available just about anywhere.

I discovered the problem with the post....if you capitalize the word green the bb automatically inserts the green face emoticon. I guess the system is too automatically cute.

JDH

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Thank you and I will be making up some in the near future and let you know how it is.
    Dutch Schoenfeld
    Mosby's Rangers
    Dutch Schoenfeld
    Mosby's Rangers
    PM Botetourt Lodge #7, Gloucester VA

Region:

Ballistol and water makes a moose milk also. Just add Ballistol to water until it stops mixing (Ballistol starts to sit on top), then add a little more water to get the little extra Ballistol mixed in. Some people add a little Joy dish washing liquid to this mix others add Murphy's Oil Soap, still others just use the Ballistol/water mix straight. This is also used in patched round ball muzzle loading as a patch lube and cleaner.

Anyway, moose milk is just a nick name for these mixtures that all turn whitish when the oil emulsifies with the water.
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry