Thread: WTB A Roll of Original Maynard Primers

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7368V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

WTB A Roll of Original Maynard Primers

I need to find a roll or partial roll of Maynard primers for a special Civil War arms display at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum. When I didn't want them, everyone had them. Now that I need some, no one has them. Does anyone have some Maynard primers they are willing to sell?

thanks-
    Jim Leinicke
    114th Illinois

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Re: WTB A Roll of Original Maynard Primers

Jim - I will be glad to donate a roll for you to use in your display. You have done many good things for the N-SSA over the years and if this helps I glad to do it for you. Either e-mail me at: hwaugh@twcny.rr.com or give me a call at 315-592-4901 and I will get your address and mail a roll out to you.

Harry Waugh - 3731 - Terry's Texas Rangers
    Rascus

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7368V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Re: WTB A Roll of Original Maynard Primers

Harry- Thanks! I am more than a bit overwhelmed. I helped present a program at the museum on Illinois arming its volunteers in 1861 a month or two ago and the next thing I knew I was up to my eyeballs in trying to put together a serious Civil War arms exhibit to run from April 6, 2012 (150th anniversary of Shiloh) until sometime in 2013. Almost all of my stuff is going to go on display and more is needed. The museum historian setting up the display met with me yesterday to view and photograph my collection, and happened to ask if I had any Maynard primers to display with a M1855 rifle-musket. I told him I did not but would undertake finding some. In any case, I will either return them to you when the exhibit is done or pay you a fair price for them if you wish. I am grateful and humbled that you would simply donate them, but you really don't have to do so unless you insist. I just sincerely appreciate your assistance in this effort.

By the way, the museum would love to have an original artillery piece for this display, if one were to be had, as well as a lot of other items that my modest collection does not include (Original leathers, uniform parts, some specific firearms that I do not currently own, etc.). I personally would love to assemble all that is needed for this on loans from N-SSA sources and then have N-SSA publicly credited as the source for the artifacts. This is, after all, the Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield, Illinois, and annual visitors number in the tens of thusands. It is an enormous opportunity for the Association to live up to its historic education role.

Anyway- My address is: Jim Leinicke, 2124 North 21st Street, Springfield, Illinois 62702. And thanks again, Harry.
    Jim