Thread: Pedersoli CW guns

1. Pedersoli CW guns

I have noticed Pedersoli is beginning production of some CW era guns with match grade barrels, in commemoration of the 150th Anniversary of the start of the war. I have shot rifled muskets, but am inexperienced with the breech loading carbines of the period. I was considering saving up and buying a Sharps carbine, but it seems like a "complicated" mechanism. Is gas blow back an issue? Would a Pietta Smith carbine be better? It just seems these breech loaders could be somewhat persnickety. If so, I'll just save up for the match grade 1853 Enfield. What would you all advise?

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Re: Pedersoli CW guns

I have owned both original and replica Smith and Sharps Carbines.
    My Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbine is by far my favorite and the Most Accurate carbine I have ever owned.
    I had to do an "O" Ring job on it to keep it from freezing up after a dozen rounds-now it can shoot 50 to a 100 rounds before freezing up from fouling.

Also, making combustible cartridges is a hassle but Charlie Hahn sells cardboard cartridges that work well.

3. Re: Pedersoli CW guns

When you say "O" ring, you don't mean rubber ones, do you? Wouldn't they melt?

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Howdy,

Send me an email with a note to this string, and I will send you my customer data package that goes over the o-ring modification I do, and information on the tubes I make and how to assemble. Then you can compare to other modifications and systems you may be considering.

Regards

Charlie Hahn
    410-208-4736
    etb9601@gmail.com

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

I have had a Pietta Smith and now shoot a Shiloh Sharps. The Pietta had a Bob Hoyt barrel reline, which I strongly recommend, plus they need a job done on the cleanout screw, which Bob Hoyt can also do. With the factory cleanout screw it's not a matter of if it will blow out, but when.
    The Pedersoli Sharps needs the "O Ring job", a Shiloh doesn't need anything. The relined Smith did could keep up with a Sharps at 50 yds. but the Sharps is better at 100 yds.
    I use Charlie Hahn's cardboard tubes in my Sharps and like them a lot. They are much easier than rolling paper tubes and much stronger and easier to handle.

6. Re: Pedersoli CW guns

Thanks for all the replies guys, and thanks for the info you emailed me Charlie! Great stuff! S.Sparks