Thread: Fayetteville Rifle

Team:
    4th Virginia Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Fayetteville Rifle

I'm looking for information on the original finish for Fayetteville rifles. Did it vary by type? Were several different finishes used on the lockplate, barrel and hammer? Were parts sometimes left bright? Anecdotes, opinions, and reference sources appreciated. The few color photographs of examples I've seen indicate a browned barrel, but I can't tell on the lock or hammer because of the patina. Thanks in advance,
    Jon
    Shoot the brave officers, and the cowards will run away and take the men with them. -Jackson

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Re: Fayetteville Rifle

Jon,

I wont spoon feed you or anybody info that you can find out through your own research.
    Check with John Holland for the "spec sheets" you may need for the model type you what.
    The rest is up to you.
    The SAC has some very good "spec sheets" on many approved firearms. Request those spec sheets 'first'!
    Sorry, I don't mean to come acrossed sounding PISSY

Team:
    4th Virginia Infantry
    Region:

I have the N-SSA spec sheets for Type IV and Type V. The metal finish is not on the spec sheets. Internet search for the Paul Davies' Guide referenced in the spec sheet drew a blank. I've looked at Flayderman's Guide, and it states "finished in the white or browned," but does not state whether it means the lock and/or the barrel. I've examined several photos on auction sites, as well as Echoes of Glory, most barrels appear to be browned, but I could not tell on the locks and hammer due to the patina and possible loss of finish. I also found this quote:

In February, 1862, the Fayetteville Observer, in describing the beginning of arms’ manufacturing at the arsenal, reported:

A few days ago we were shown one of a number of rifles furnished at the C. S. Armory here. It is much the same in general appearance, as the U.S. rifle for some years made at Harper’s Ferry and at Springfield, Mass.; but for certain improvements, in the matter of sword bayonet, Maynard primer, and PERFECTION OF FINISH IN ALL PARTS (emphasis added), it must be pronounced very superior. The back sights are set for 800 and 500 yards.

Photos in "Arming the Glorious Cause" Whisker, Hartzler, Yantz, are black and white.

My question stands. Does anyone have information regarding the metal finish or finishes applied to rifles made at the Fayetteville Arsenal? Particularly N-SSA type IV or V (Type III or IV in Flayderman)? Not looking to be spoon fed, sorry if I now sound pissy as well <g>
    Jon
    Shoot the brave officers, and the cowards will run away and take the men with them. -Jackson

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Jon,

You are more than welcome. I think?
    Check with John Holland for the model type, I, II, III ,IV, or V Fayetteville you wish to build.
    Best info I can offer you.
    Otherwise, go with Armory Bright.
    Blair

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

I quote from page 219 of John Murphy and Michael Madause's "Confederate Rifles & Muskets"

"Plates 20 and 21 illustrate a Fayetteville Armory Type IV rifle. This piece is in virtually mint condition due to it being captured in an unfired state after the destruction of the Fayetteville Arsenal. It was taken North as a war souvenir, where it was preserved in its present condition...The barrel of this piece retains almost all of its original brown lacquer finish, and the lockplate retains much of its casehardened finish..."

Apparently both the Richmond and Fayetteville Arsenals browned their barrels as a matter of course. One thing about building a repro Richmond or Fayetteville-that browned barrel glint or reflect sunspots into your eyes during Individuals or Musket Team Events!

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

OOPS!

I meant to say that the browned barrel PREVENTS glints or sunspots in your eyes. Another plus they have is that they resist rust much more than the "National Armory Bright" finish found on original and repro Springfields.

Now, if ONLY those that make the repro Richmonds would turn them out with browned barrels as per the originals!

Team:
    4th Virginia Infantry
    Region:

Southron, Sr.,
    Thanks for the great quote and reference source, will try to track down the book mentioned to peek at the pictures.
    Jon

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7368V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Fayetteville Rifle Finish

Quote Originally Posted by Fauch125 View Post
    I'm looking for information on the original finish for Fayetteville rifles. Did it vary by type? Were several different finishes used on the lockplate, barrel and hammer? Were parts sometimes left bright? Anecdotes, opinions, and reference sources appreciated. The few color photographs of examples I've seen indicate a browned barrel, but I can't tell on the lock or hammer because of the patina. Thanks in advance,
    Jon
    For whatever it is worth, there is no visible original finish on my 1864 dated Fayetteville. However, under the barrel there are traces of chocolate brown lacquer, similar to that applied to Hall rifles at Harpers Ferry. I presume the barrel was so lacquered.

Jim Leinicke 7368v