Thread: What kind of cartridge box to get?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

What kind of cartridge box to get?

OK, after borrowing all my gear for my first skirmish two weekends ago, I'm looking at what I need to buy for myself.

It looks like nearly everyone uses belt-mounted cartridge boxes and cap boxes. Does anyone use a sling? How do you wear one? Does anyone have a picture of sling-mounted accouterments?

The only blackpowder rifle I own is a P53 Enfield. Should I use an "Enfield" Cartridge box? I've been told this was only used with a sling. But I hear it's nice because it holds 50 cartridges and all are accessible from the top whereas with the regulation .58 caliber cartridge box you consume all the cartridges in one tin, then have to remove the empty tin to get at the cartridges in the lower tin?

I'm looking at the S&S Firearms L8 vs L14.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:

Re: What kind of cartridge box to get?

Steve,

Likely, using a muzzleloader you may not fire more than 7 or 8 shots in any single team event though you may fire more than 10 shots in individuals, so having a cartridge box loaded up with 50 rounds may get a little heavy. But you will probably be happier with the L14 Enfield cartridge box or one like it from another sutler. When you open the outer and inner flaps, the cartridge compartment is wide enough to insert a wood block (roughly 2.5-inches wide by maybe 6.5-inches long) similar to the one shown on Page 82 (TW6) except that the wood block for the Enfield box generally has a capacity for 20 .577-cal cartridges. Some shooters use other types of inserts, like small pre-loaded plastic or cardboard trays that may be otherwise stored inside of another larger container (i.e. ammo box) for transport to the firing line, with the smaller trays holding between 10 to 20 rounds that can be easily inserted into the cartridge box as they need to replenish their ammo between relays.

The correct tin insert for the Enfield cartridge box is TW3, whereas the tins for the L8 cartridge box are like the TW1 and TW7 or the Confederate type TW2. Some sutlers offer a similar tin to the TW3 but without the inner compartments which can be advantageous particularly in the warmer months as the tin does a good job of catching any melted lube and helps keep the inside tidy. The opening to the L8 cartridge box is narrower than the Enfield box, and for Federal units with stricter rules for equippage the L8 box is the correct regulation box. Some CSA units have stricter regulations for equippage, whereas most Confederate units equipped with Enfields also had Enfield accoutrements, so (I think) you'll be happier with the Enfield cartridge box. I've carried an Enfield box for 30 years and use it with all my skirmish guns, and have wood block inserts for holding .50, .58, and .69 cal ammo as well as metallic cartridges.

With the Enfield box, you'll need a shoulder sling (normally worn across the body, passing over your left shoulder so the cartridge box is positioned on your right side), though if I your are a left-handed shooter, you may find the opposite side more convenient to loading. If you are a Confederate, you can use either the leather shoulder sling strap (L3) or tarred-canvas shoulder strap or un-tarred white canvas shoulder sling, though these other items are not available from S&S they are available from other sutlers. And you'll need a waist belt like L4 with a oval buckle of your choosing (see page 94) to carry your bayonet throg and cap pouch that is if you don't use one of the Enfield-type cap pouches that worn on the cartridge box shoulder strap and placed on your chest. There is also a Enfield waist belt with "Snake-buckle" (BB22 or BB23) though you may have to buy the belt from another sutler. Good hunting.

Confederate cartridge box shoulder strap:
    http://www.regtqm.com/ProductDetails.as ... =LEATH%2D5

Enfield cap pouch (belt-type):
    http://www.regtqm.com/ProductDetails.as ... =LEATH%2D9
    http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg11.htm

Enfield cap pouch (cross-belt type):
    http://www.jarnaginco.com/confedcatframe.html

Enfield Snake-belt:
    http://www.jarnaginco.com/imported%20leather.htm
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Region:

Wow, thanks for the long write up and the links!

I'm playing with the 4th LA so I'll run this all by them to see if there is anything I'm supposed to use that is unique to us.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Hey M...

I am pretty new to this whole shindig too and it was only about 6 months ago I was looking for the same stuff. I picked up a few different 2nd generation cartridge boxes from guys here on the board and on my team so I was pretty lucky. You will find people on here and at the fort are pretty cool about helping out newbies...

I personally like the carbine cartridge box worn by calvary. It does lack the capacity (only 10-15 rounds) but like was mentioned you will be lucky to get that off in an event. I can get 15 carbine rounds off in 5 minutes but that usually means I should have slowed down anyway and shot better so I could have actually hit something!

One advantage I like about it is that it doesn't require a shoulder sling, only a belt. Most of the guys on my team use the carbine box for this reason...comfort. However, this might be an issue if your team takes exception to using only authentic uniforms for your representative unit. The team I belong to doesn't make much of a deal about ythe particulars of your uniform...they would rather shoot good and look bad than look good and miss everything!

Good luck!
    Mike Howell #12773
    Co. E 3rd Virginia "Cockade Rifles"

“Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.” ~ RE Lee

Region:
    Visitor

The number of P-53 Enfields imported by the confederacy far out numbered the English accouterments that were imported. That makes just about any style cartridge box or cap box correct. IMO the English cartridge box is very awkward to retrieve rounds from because of the construction of the inner flap. It was designed to hold packs of ten cartridges which were opened and transferred to a ball pouch on the front waist. I have some origional CS boxes on this page.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/csequip.html

Sorry no English boxes shown. You just don't see that many that survived.

Best to check with your unit prior to buying anything as mentioned previously.
    Jim Mayo

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

"...they would rather shoot good and look bad than look good and miss everything!"

Or, you could belong to a team that looks good AND shoots good!

Steve, ideally, you would use the cartridge box that was issued to the unit you represent.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

In my 2010 Dixie Gun Works catalog they have a repro M1855/64 Infantry cartridge box, catalog # PLO131 listed for $27.95 which is a bargain, costing about half what most repro cartridge boxes cost. I bought one of the $27.95 cartridge boxes several years ago and was very pleased with the quality.

Spend a ten bucks to get a cap box, a few more bucks on a belt and belt plate and you are in business! Just check with your team commander before you order to make sure that the above box is "legal" for your team.

N-SSA rules require that any cartridge box that is used in competition have both an outer and an inner flap. THE DGW cartridge box mentioned above meets this requirement.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Back to Steve's OP...

I've been experimenting with several options myself, trying to come up with a setup that will allow me to do without an extra ammo box.

You've goth three basic options. The Enfield box, the various American infantry boxes, and the carbine box.

The Enfield box can carry the most ammo, but I find that it tends to roll over on its strap. This might not be as much of a problem if you are rather thin, but for me it's a problem. The good news is that you can stuff a lot of ammo in it...enough for a whole musket match.

The American-style boxes can carry a lot, too, but you have to work out some sort of way to layer the cartridges. Some shooters just put in a block and use it to carry 15-20 rounds, which is enough for one event.

Carbine boxes are OK for 20 carbine rounds, or about 15-17 musket rounds. Use a wooden block. This is the setup I'm currently using. Very convenient.

As to the shoulder strap, you just run it over your left shoulder. Usually, you wear a waistbelt with your cap pouch and other accoutrements (bayonet and a cup for tubes). I'm using an unusual rig...shoulder strap with a British cap pouch on the strap, with a cup on a wire handle under the cartridge box. It lets me ditch the waistbelt.

Now, if you don't mind me asking...do you have a kepi yet? My father shot with the 4th LA for a while, and I have his kepi. I've been saving it for this sort of occasion. Ask your teammates if anyone remembers Gene McDaniel.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Region:

I don't have anything yet.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander