Thread: IMA 1853 Enfield

1. IMA 1853 Enfield

I am thinking about ordering on of IMA 1853 Enfields just to clean up as a wall hanger. I know they have no U.S. history but I think it would be a cool display pice. Anyone have any experance with IMA and/or their 1853 Enfields?

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Re: IMA 1853 Enfield

The ones I have seen were pretty bad. Not English made. I don't think I'd ever shoot one for sure.

Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

There is a nice YouTube video of a fellow cleaning up one of the IMA muskets for display. It came out rather nice.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

I watched the Youtube video after reading the above post and would like to point out some concerns I have with the methods used to
    cleanup the P1853. I am sure some of the experienced members will have other/better advice for the cleanup process.
    1. Screws in the firearm world have slots designed for hollow ground tips and not the standard screw drivers that are in everyday use.
    The use of standard type screw drivers are the reason so many used guns have damaged screw slots. Proper screw drivers
    can be obtained from companys such as Brownells or Midway.
    2. The use of oven cleaners is damaging to the wood. A much better cleaner for antique woods is Kramers Best Antique Improver.
    3. Instead of steel wool try cleaning the metal with steel wool sponge with a liberal application of a good quality oil. This will
    often leave any remaing finish intact.
    A Hoyt reline will do wonders for the safe accurate shooting of the cleaned up/restored rifle while leaving the exterior original.

5. Re: IMA 1853 Enfield

Thanks for the info and tips. I orderd one and depending on this will be ordering another. I have been checking out the Hoyts relineing and think I my just have to do that. I will post pics of the rifle when she arrives and the clean up.

Region:
    None

Hello,

just finished work on one of IMA's Nepal Enfields, purchased 4/11/2011. 8)
    I think I was really lucky with this one.

This is exactly how I received her:

The only part missing was a side screw escutcheon. Sorry for the quality, couldn't wait to start working on her^^

This was bad, a Snider Enfield lock was loosely attached. What were they thinking back then?? This simply cannot work with a 1853 Enfield nippel... I had to buy a new lock from IMA.

The underside of the barrel has some pitting. My gunsmith said it is ok to shoot, but better with a reduced chage. Anyway I won't do that, she is a far too beautiful wall hanger.

This Enfield has a strange caliber. Must be like .585 or even more since my .580 Minie Balls had way too much space when I test loaded them.

Below:
    1. Bore looked good after first cleaning, mostly dirt, no pitting all the way down.
    2. After 4 days work: The cleaned Enfield with the original parts and the included bayonett.
    3. After 1 month: The finished Enfield with an absolutely great original replacement lock from IMA (no fitting was necessary, lucky me ), 3 new oldstyle screws for the trigger guard and repaired wood around the lock.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Region:
    None

more details
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

I've bought from International Military Antiques for several years and have NEVER been disapointed with my purchases.

Last week I got my replica Boyle Gamble & McFee CSA staff officers sword from them. Excellent qaulity, even left them great feedback on their site for it.

However, being a gun collector also, you get what you pay for, some of these "relic" guns IMA offers for cheap.........are not in the best of shape. Some guys are happy with their purchases, and some are not.

I believe they do offer hand select for an additional 10.00? which sometimes worth it for the additional cost.

Region:
    None

They don't feature the hand select option for the Enfields anymore, but after I ordered mine I asked them if I could get one with the brass nose cap still fitted since many were broken off. They said that they would try and as you can see I got one, coincidence or not ;-)
    Btw I worked on the areas whrere I repaired the wood, barely visible now.
    And I'd still like to hear some opinions about the piece :P