Thread: Removing rust from a barrel

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Removing rust from a barrel

Folks,

I have a very nice 1860 Spencer rifle that has an interesting condition in the barrel, and before I throw up my hands and take it to Bob Hoyt for relining I wanted to run the situation by you all to see if there were other options out there.

What I've got is a barrel that in some places is in beautiful shape, strong lands and grooves, mirror finish, but in other places has significant rust buildup. We're talking to the point where it is raised on the metal. You can FEEL the coarseness of the rust as you pass the cleaning jag through: at the breech is is smooth, then like sandpaper, then smooth again toward the muzzle.

I have tried about forty patches of coarse domet flannel, several runs of OOOO steel wool, and plenty of oil, and while we'll pull out some rust there is just no significant change in either the feel or appearance of the barrel. Is it time to reline or can anyone with experience with this sort of situation recommend a better method? I am not afraid to put several more hours into it. THANK YOU for any advice you can offer.

Dan

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Re: Removing rust from a barrel

Hell-o Dan, From what you are describing this is what I have done in the past with pretty good results. First plug the muzzle of the gun with something that will not leak(A cork, grounded at a taper to fit securely), fill the barrel from the breech with a good solvent(Hoppe's #9 works well). Let it soak over night. What I would now use is 2 sections of a shotgun cleaning rod(this should be long enough for the spencer) with a 20ga brass brush, I think that should be a good size for the Spencer. Fit the rod into a 1/4" drill with variable speed and on low speed with little torque run it back and fourth through the barrel. Dip the brush in the Hoppe's with each application. Run patches through it between each brushing. This should remove the rust that has raised on the metal, both the lands and the grooves. It will not, of course, remove any pitting and if the rust is rough you will probably have some pitting. Depending on the extent of the pitting will determine if the barrel is shootable. This treatment has worked very well for me on many barrels, both 19th and 20th century vintage.

Of course, you may need more than 2 sections of rod depending on the barrel length. On long barrels I have had to use 3 or 4 sections of rod which means more than one shotgun cleaning kit since I can't use the section with the handle(you could cut the handle off, I suppose?). Hope this is an idea you can use. Best of Luck.

Dennis Schuler(Brads Dad)
    4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
    1561V

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

It may be you need more than just taking rust off. The barrel may need to be lapped which gets down into the metal, levels out the pits, and polishes in a new finish. You need a barrel guy to do this. The barrel guy can also tell you ahead of time if lapping will do the job. I'm not sure who in the N-SSA does this. The NMLRA has lots of folks.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Take an old bore brush, burn the bristles off it leavibg the wire skeleton.
    Insert the brush, attached to a rod from the breech.
    push it ou of the muzzle. Wrap masking tale around the shaft of the rod toact as a dam for the lead.
    Heat up the muzzle a tad with a torch to ger it warm and help with the fill out.
    Pull the brush end down into the barrel and pour a 2-3 lead lap.
    Afer it cools push the lap part way out of the barrle, put some clover )valve grinding) compound on the lap and work it back and forth.

When you dont feel resistance you can clean it out and try it or make another lap as needed.

Hope this helps
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

Who would guess someone from New York knew how to lap a barrel.

Team:
    Region:

Been doing this neigh on to 3 weeks now.
    Here in Da Bronx, we learn how to care for our weapons.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Many thanks to all of you for your help! I combined a couple techniques based on what I had handy (in a small town you can't always find everything you need) and the results were fantastic. The rust is gone, and some pitting is evident, but only serious in one spot. I will hold off on having it relined until I find out how she shoots but for now at least the deterioration is arrested.

Thank you all again for your help. This website is truly one of the best resources out there!

Dan

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

Probably the biggest difference you'll notice is the need for more frequent cleaning/wiping. The rough spots will attract fouling. The necessity to fire ten or twelve or fourteen (B teamer talking here) rapid shots during a relay in a skirmish event makes pristine barrels in the N-SSA almost a requirement.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

By the way Lou Lou Lou, my number two son-in-law graduated from Fordham.

Team:
    Region:

Great! My wife worked in the Law School for 30 years. Son is the Locksmith at Fordham for the last 20 years. I am a mile from the BX campus at the VA Hospital.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI