Thread: Spencers for Single-shot Team competition

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Spencers for Single-shot Team competition

Would someone please explain to me why a Spencer with the "Stabler cut-off" would NOT qualify for the following:

j. Single-shot Breechloading Rifle/Carbine II: a firearm as defined in (h) or
    (i) above, but which has no magazine feed and must be single-loaded.
    Ammunition may be internally or externally primed.

The rule says "no magazine feed", not "no magazine". With the Stabler cut-off in position, this gun is no longer a magazine fed gun.
    Let the Spensers compete on an even playing field. We all know that they are in no way even competition against the "Henrys". (8 loaded rounds vs 14 shooting at 8 targets per man on the backer board) Why let these guns set around collecting dust, when they could be shot competitively in this class. And "yes", I own a Spencer.
    Harlans Light Cav

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Re: Spencers for Single-shot Team competition

I will defer to the SAC for their ruling on your question but in as much as the skirmish rules apply to artillery sights, artillery projectiles, and other alterations and/or modifications to the configuration of original Civil War arms is required to be executed prior to 26 April 1865, the Stabler device, though patented prior to that date, had required a moderate amount of retooling such that the device was not incorporated on Spencer carbines until the shipment of 16 June 1865 so is technically a "post-war" modification. I cannot answer as to whether you are permitted to use the Stabler device if it is installed on your carbine, but as far as the "single shot" mode, had the device been incorporated into the wartime production or delivered prior to 26 April 1865, then that might have more bearing.

Yeah, I shoot a 3-band Spencer rifle (without the device) and don't mind at all shooting it against the Henrys. Whether I win is less important-- just so long as I had fun doing so. If I didn't have fun doing this hobby, I wouldn't be doing it.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Re: Spencers for Single-shot Team competition

My crystal ball anticipates that sometime in the future we will be loading Henry's, Spencers, Trippletts as single shots. Then we can all shoot together as it should be. This won't happen until others tell our commanders we want to do this. John ... hope this doesn't violate the policy here.
    N-SSA Member since 1974