Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Signature Series

Colt Signature Series

I just bought a new Colt Signature Series 1861 Springfield musket. I heard that this type of weapon is actually an Armi-Sport. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Also, does anyone know what the minimum and maximum charge is with this weapon. What type of minie balls is best and can I use maxi balls?
    I did not get an owners manual with this weapon, so any information would be very helpful.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Re: Colt Signature Series

Your Colt firearm was made in the Bronx New York and not Italy. You'd have to get your bore mic'd to see the exact bore dia. then get a round sized to 1,000th less for you best accuracy. I used 38 grains of 3F Goex in mine and it one shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards. They were well made for the most part and bring a better price then the Italian made guns.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Pat,

Is yours a 2 or 3 bander? I bought one of those 2 banders way back when. When I bought it and took It apart the barrel looked like the rifling cutter had broke down by the breach. There was a gouge out of it. Brought it to the attention of those I bought it from and they gave me a new barrel. I never could get anything in my mold arsenal to shoot out of it. Oh I'd get one good target off the bench but it wouldn't replicate. Finally had to have Hoyt reline it. Now it shoots and it's the one I use now.

Regards.
    Eric Fritz
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

I believe, but do not swear, Colt merely assembled Italian parts (Armisport?) and marked the result to create the replica Colt Special Model.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

The Colt Signature Series were not actually produced by Colt, but were made under licensing from Colt Firearms. The Colt Signature Series were produced 1993-2002 by the same person who had also produced the 2nd Generation Colt replicas of 1973-76, Lou Imperato, and like those made then, the Colt Signature Series were made from Italian-made parts but were entirely assembled in the US by the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company of Brooklyn, NY (like the 2nd Generation Colt replicas were assembled by the Iver Johnson Arms Company in Fitchburg, MA). From what I understand all of the Italian-made parts were obtained from Uberti (not ArmiSport).

Several models not made as part of the 2nd Generation series were latterly produced as part of the Colt Signature Series, such as the 1849 Pocket Dragoon and 1862 Trapper, and by 1996 Lou and Anthony Imperato had recreated all the original models. Unlike the earlier 2nd Generation series, Colt had only a very minor role in their recreation compared to the earlier effort in that while Imperato was producing hundreds of 2nd Generation replicas, a handful were diverted to the Colt Custom Shop for the limited factory engraved pieces, and which continued in producing such pieces into the early 1990s from 2nd Generation inventory.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Thanks for the information. Im going to the range this weekend, we'll see what happens at 100-200 yards!!!

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:

Eric,
    Mine was a 3 bander. I don't know if they actually made a 2 bander or if that was Chat-ah-whatever that did those as I don't remember them being marking with the Colt Sig.

Colt BP found me through someone else and Anthony had Terry Rush contact me about testing their new guns when they had just started making them. They sent me one and I tried over 20 different projectiles & many more loads. Wrote a nice 4 page article for them with test results and sent it off. I found out months later they opted for a one paragraph deal from someone who was going to be one of their main dealers. Money talks I reckon. As a consolation they told me to keep the musket, sent me a dozen custom Colt coffeee mugs, a sling, bayonet and walnut display case for the musket.

I can't remember Terry Rush's actual position but thinking it was over manufacturing. He had told me they were gearing up over time to produce the guns in the Bronx and that in the meanwhile most of the parts came from Uberti unmarked. All parts were select grade and hand assembled in New York he said. They had also told me they had bought the rights from Colt and not just leased them. If I remember correctly Terry Rush came from Colt with the deal. Don't know whatever happened to them after that. Guns were nice and bring a better price then Armi, Euro or Uberti

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Pat,
    You're right. It is a Chat-ah-hooch but it does have the Colt signiture on the trigger guard.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:

Quote Originally Posted by efritz
    Pat,
    You're right. It is a Chat-ah-hooch but it does have the Colt signiture on the trigger guard.

Yeppers,,,,it's was their one paragraph deal that Colt went with because they were buying a boat lo ad of guns. They were cutting them down to two banders and the Amoskeg rode again.

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

Region:
    None

I saw one of these at a local gun shop a few weeks ago. It was unfired and had a bayonet. It looked nice,
    but at $899 it seemed a bit high without checking into it. I found info on the net that mentioned that they were
    assembled from Italian parts.
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."