Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt Signature Series

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Re: Colt Signature Series

That.s right about the going price on them.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by efritz
    Pat,
    You're right. It is a Chat-ah-hooch but it does have the Colt signiture on the trigger guard.
    Warning on the Chattahoochie arm, many of the breechess were drilled and threaded way too deeply and after the breech plugs were inserted there was 5 or 6 threads exposed above the plug. I bought an Amoskeag 2 bander and it was constantly pulling cleaning patches off in the breech and I even had a few cook offs due to residue collecting in the exposed threads. Ended up having Bobby Hoyt do his majic on the gun, but one shouldn't have to resort to such things on a new weapon.

Bill Shuey

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV
    Eric,
    Mine was a 3 bander. I don't know if they actually made a 2 bander or if that was Chat-ah-whatever that did those as I don't remember them being marking with the Colt Sig.

Colt BP found me through someone else and Anthony had Terry Rush contact me about testing their new guns when they had just started making them. They sent me one and I tried over 20 different projectiles & many more loads. Wrote a nice 4 page article for them with test results and sent it off. I found out months later they opted for a one paragraph deal from someone who was going to be one of their main dealers. Money talks I reckon. As a consolation they told me to keep the musket, sent me a dozen custom Colt coffeee mugs, a sling, bayonet and walnut display case for the musket.
    Here's the one from the Colt Factory Archive Collection, and obviously this says what they thought of it... they sold it, crate and all:

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.a ... id=6257579
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Bill Shuey,

I had the same problem and was the FIRST person to bring it to their attention. I was sent down the road by the "larger" of the two gentleman who worked/owned the booth. It was from then on that I responded a few times with my experience and referred to them as Chat-ah-CHEAT-me. Tony also ended up with one of these guns and had the same problem I did. He posted responses as well from time to time.

It was when Tony offered his for sale with the whole run down on it that I posted in response to someone's question with my experiences. It was a few days after that I received a phone call from the man who owned Chat-ah-hooce. He wasn't to happy with me or the other posts about his guns. We spoke for over an hour. He didn't recall me as it was his larger friend who dealt with my complaint. I told him that mattered neither here nor there as it was his company. It was two or three years after I went to them that they figured out there was in fact a problem. He said it only effected SEVEN or EIGHT guns as best they could figure out and I was the first to bring it up. He told me the few he knew of he'd told them to have Hoyt reline them on his dime. (Dang I can't remember his name now) Anyway,,,,,, I told him I had to buy a barrel for my gun, how much I was out and even after all these years I'd be happy for the cost of a reline in compensation. That offer to make amends was ignored. After hearing more about his advanced years and health issues and how he'd been treated by unhappy customers I figure I'd not respond anymore in public but rather in a PM IF,,,,someone really wanted input on the Amoskeg guns

But in closing his final word was that if the other few guns ever surfaced that Bobby Hoyt knew about them and would relined them on Chat's dime. That being said I never had cause to call Bobby to verify the claim and it's been a year since the phone call. To be fair I have seen plenty of the 2 banders that shot just fine.

Been thinking about selling the unfired 3 bander that Colt Black Powder sent me.
    Last edited by RaiderANV; 02-10-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Hi Patrick:

Bobby Hoyt did a fine job on my Amoskeag 2 bander but it was on my "dime", not CH's. That said, the weapon will shoot better than I can now. I'm using Lyman's 575602 and am quite happy with the results I get.

Bill Shuey
    1st Maine Hvy. Art.

6. Re: Colt Signature Series

Quote Originally Posted by William H. Shuey
    Hi Patrick:

Bobby Hoyt did a fine job on my Amoskeag 2 bander but it was on my "dime", not CH's. That said, the weapon will shoot better than I can now. I'm using Lyman's 575602 and am quite happy with the results I get.

Bill Shuey
    1st Maine Hvy. Art.
    Bill, when you purchased your Amoskeag 2 banderfrom CH how many lands and grooves did the barrel have?