Thread: Present day 12 pdr. Napoleon accuracy

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Present day 12 pdr. Napoleon accuracy

Brothers in arms,
    I struck out trying to find official stats on 12 pdr. accuracy. Can any of you present day 12 pdr. crew members tell me the kind of accuracy that you get, or do ya'll only shoot blanks!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Re: Present day 12 pdr. Napoleon accuracy

Sorry, I guess either everyone's stumped for an answer, nobody fires anything but blanks or if they do ever fire solid shot they don't care to talk about it! :roll: I'll try one of the other Civil War Sites.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Re: Present day 12 pdr. Napolean accuracy

ead -

The North-South Skirmish Ass'n. only fires projectiles. No blanks are fired in the N-SSA as we do not re-enact. All of our shooting is competitive live fire. Our National Artillery Matches are all held at 200 yards due to our range limitatons.

Unfortunately, what you have here is a situation where our Artillerymen do not use this forum.

JDH

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Try this link and watch the 8 min video there are some scenes of artillery targets during the 200 yard match. The ones with the big holes are the 12 pdrs.

http://www.n-ssa.org/join.html

Jim Brady
    Knap's Battery
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

Scott Lynch 1460V is offline Moderator
    Team:
    1st Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    1460v
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Wel mebbe iffen ya'll spelt it rite then mebbe sum artymens mite reply, it is NAPOLEON! I have crewed on an original Napoleon and can say that it hit more than it missed on the 200 yard bullseye. Having not hit the lottery yet I have to be satisfied with my repop Parrott. And yes Johnny some of us artillerymen do read this forum. There just isn't much to respond to most of the time. Scott

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

To my good friends, Jim & Scott....and that is a sincere comment....thank you for replying to Eric.

Scott....You'll have to be patient with Eric because he lives in a galaxy far, far, away known as the PRC. Or rather the Peoples Republic of California. And, since we are a 501 (c) 3 organization one of our mission statements is to educate the public. Well done!

The "Big Boy Toys" you guys have are way beyond me. Over the years I've been on quite a few gun crews and every one was a thrill. The best I could do was a 1/2 scale bronze Coehorn. The problem is, it suffers from "Goldilocks Syndrome". You know, "This one's too big, this one's too small..." I can't find anything that fits the bore.

John

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

There is no sound quite like the ring of a brass Napoleon gun !!

Here is a link to one of my favorite Civil War books. Even though it has been proven that Augustus Buell did not serve with Battery B and got his info second hand, it is a great account of service with a renown Regular Battery.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2-M8AA ... &q&f=false

And another good link to a history of Battery B

http://books.google.com/books?id=qtoSAA ... &q&f=false

Phil
    Regards,

Phil Spaugy

Team:
    Winslow Battery, 1st New York
    9775V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

If you guys think live firing a model 1857 12 pound gun aka Napoleon is a blast try a 24 pound field howitzer. That is a rush we shot the 24 pounder back at i believe the 100th national when we did the live fire ,did well too our position was 21 and we put a shot right between the 2 and the 1 never mind we were aiming at the bullseye at the time but hey it was a BLAST.
    Matt
    Winslow's Battery 9775v

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

We've got a guy on our team who owns his own mortar battery...OK....we all agree he's out of control. One of them is a 24. We tried it several times competitively, and all I can say is it looked like a wild woman flinging apples at a squirrel. I didn't know you could rack up a score that looked like a zip code!

JDH

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Yeah, 24 and 64 pounders are certainly whoppers for burning powder, but they don’t compare to Mons Meg, the cannon on display at Edinburgh Castle in Scotland. The bememoth 15-foot long 20-inch bore “Mons” derives its name from where it was made in Belgium in 1457, weighing in at 15,366 pounds (some 6 tons) with a powder charge of 100 pounds it was capable of flinging gunstones weighing 330 pounds nearly two miles, and 300 pound iron balls one mile distant. Mons Meg was last fired on October 14, 1681 to celebrate the birthday for the Duke of Albany and York, after King James VII of Scotland and II of England when the barrel burst. A twin gun burst in 1460 in a salute fired during the siege of Roxburgh Castle, when a section of the breech tore through the thigh of King James II (1437-1460), a wound from which he bled to death.

http://www.maybole.org/history/castles/roxburgh.htm
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66