Thread: Sharps Loading

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Sharps Loading

I am confused about loading the non-metalic cartridge type Sharps. I know in black powder it is important that the load be a compressed load for safety reasons. I just do not see how you would ever be able to develop a compressed load with lose powder in the chamber or by using combustible cartridges. It seems there will always be some dead space in the chamber on this type of action.

I have seen several posts from people saying don't worry about it and others saying to use a filler material like COW. But you are never going to get a compressed load like a muzzle loader or a metalic cartridge.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me and others who may be wondering also?

Thanks,
    Scott Kurki
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    A compressed load is not needed. Filler is usually used to take up space so the powder charge is closer to the flash hole in the breach.
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

In percussion Sharps, there is a large space behind the breech that extends to the rear of the gas seal that allows the gases to blow back, push the gas seal forward, and seal the breech. This happens whether you use a paper cartridge or load with loose powder. This is certainly different than muzzleloaders or cartridge Sharps.

Rich

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Siegel 8846
    In percussion Sharps, there is a large space behind the breech that extends to the rear of the gas seal that allows the gases to blow back, push the gas seal forward, and seal the breech. This happens whether you use a paper cartridge or load with loose powder. This is certainly different than muzzleloaders or cartridge Sharps.

Rich
    That is my understanding and also the cause of my confusion. I read in the owner's manual, that comes with the Sharps, a warning about making sure you are using a compressed load. I am thinking now that the statement is a general statement that applies to all of the various Sharps models that Pedersoli produces, most being metalic cartridge models. I think I understand this now.
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry

Sharps

skurki,
    The Sharps, percussion was designed to take advantage of the pressure from the breech sealing the breech. It was a modification of a steam engine piston design by Sharps. He developed the floating pressure plate replacing the piston valve compression of the engine.

The plate has to float freely to accomplish the seal. Hence the number of postings where shooters have pulled the plates and polished the back to allow smooth movement.

The use of grease is less to smooth the flow than to slow the accumulation of fouling that would cause the plate to stick and allow blow by.

A compressed load in an original Sharps would be between 110, 120gr of powder. A bit in excess of the military load. Closer to a major proof loading. Not one that is recommended for other than a one off shot.

The most common target loadings fall between 35gr FFg/FFFg and 50gr FFG/FFFg with the FFFg loadings usually a bit less than those of FFg for the same results.

I shoot an original style ringtail w/42gr FFFg. Cartridge is paper. Has worked well for the last twenty five years. Maybe the new glasses I have on order will help me regain a tight group.

Take care and be safe
    pfb

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    If you are interested I offer hard paper tubes that allow for some compression of the load and provide chamber fill except for the gas pocket in the rear. If you would forward an email address, I will send a process sheet to help you understand how this is assembled. My email address is ETB9601@aol.com.

Regards

Charlie Hahn 0829V