Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: smoothbores

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    11046v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

smoothbores

Wife and I both are planning to get smoothbores for next season. Need all the expert advice out there as to advantages of all approved types, what molds are available, powder loads, lubes, etc., etc. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Jim and Marty
    "Forgetfulness is injustice; remembrance is a sacred duty".

Re: smoothbores

Jim,
    Regardless of what others may say, I like the Potsdam. They can probably be had cheaper and relined by hoyt to .69 so a .678 ball will work. Powder charge and lube are some of the mystries of smoothies. I wish I could give you a load. You will just have to experiment. For your wife, you may want to look into a '55 cadet. They are basically a 7/8 scale '55 musket and smooth in .58. Lighter and shorter in the back for a woman. Just my $.02, and you know what that's worth. If you want more, shoot me a PM.
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Jim -

Actually Greg meant to say a Model 1851 Cadet, which is a 7/8 scale version of a Model 1842 smoothbore.

JDH
    SAC

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

Jim: Say it ain't so!!!!! If you and Marty are looking for an easier way to miss I can show you how to do that with a rifled musket.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

If you're looking for a Potsdam, Joe Salter currently has one for sale

http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=12075
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

6. Re: smoothbores

I have a cut-down 42 that I have been thinking of getting rid of for a while now. The gun shoots great but it's the smallest smoothy you can legally shoot. I am over 6' and I just need a taller gun. Let me know if your interested and we can talk.

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    11046v
    Region:

Scott
    I would certainly be interested in knowing the details of your smoothy, repro. or original, price, etc. You're welcome to answer me here or privately at jjjrogers@abts.net
    thanks
    Jim R
    "Forgetfulness is injustice; remembrance is a sacred duty".

8. Re: smoothbores

Its a early James River cut-down. I think I've had it since 06 and I bought it used. The barrel is 24 inches and the total overall height of the gun is shorter than my Richmond carbine. She likes wheelweights roughed up a bit and 45 gr of 3f Swiss. I have never shot a clean match with it but had quite a few one miss skirmishes. I'll take 750 for her . I cant sell the mold but I will cast a bunch of balls for ya.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

I am using a James River Armory 30" Macon Conversion smoothbore and I love it. It shoots point of aim with 42 grains and a thrice dipped .683 round ball. I use the ice cream cone method of lubing the ball. The mold was obtained from Jeff Tanner in England, http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk.
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry

10. Re: smoothbores

What bothers me about smoothbores is the frequency of cook offs. I have been present at 3 skirmishes where a cook off has occured, all with smooth bores. One man got powder shot into his finger tips twice. Another man had a full charge go off, breaking his finger tips. This is the reason I have thus far refused to have anything to do with a smootbore. I have been told that sooner or later I will have a cook off with a musket, but I have not witnessed one thusfar, so I think that they are far less frequent than smooth bore cook offs. Does anyone know why this occurs and how to avoid cook offs?