Thread: Muzzleloader Storage

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Muzzleloader Storage

I read somewhere that proper storage for a muzzleloader is with the muzzle down so as to direct oil in the barrel away from the breech. According to what I read, the oil could build up in the breech area and spoil the powder in load causing poor or no ignition. I had never heard this before and have always stored my arms in a safe vertically so I wanted to query the experts to see what you all have to say. The idea of oil build up in the breech does seem feasible but wouldn't you have to use a good amount of oil for it to run into the breech and cause ignition issues?
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry

Re: Muzzleloader Storage

Scott you are correct, UNLESS you have an accelerated, or patent, breech. Then you could have a problem. In any event, if you snap a couple of caps with the muzzle down before loading, the oil should be removed.
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

I always store my muskets "Muzzle Up" but when I go to the range I run a few dry patches thru the bore to dry up as much oil as possible.

IF I am at a regular range (and not at a Skirmish) For the FIRST shot, I will fire a blank charge to make sure that all the oil is gone. IF there is still enough oil in the breech area to kill the powder; then I pour the oil soaked powder out on the ground and run a few more patches thru the bore.

That always does the trick because the next blank round always goes "Ker-Boom!"

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Thanks for the responses. I should have said that I was concerned about a flintlock as well as the percussion locks. Southron Sr.'s suggestion about firing a "blank" should work fine for the flinter except in a hunting situation. In the case of hunting, better get out there and fire the gun the day before and watch the oil when cleaning afterward.
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry

Scott,
    I too am a flint hunter so I understand. Here goes; for most of my BP barrels I use the yellow stuff between shooting sessions. You know what it is and it comes under several brand names. For my Douglass barrels, I find Eezox works better as a rust preventer. Before I go into the field, I just wipe the bore thoroughly and have never had a problem, even with my patent breech guns. Hope this helps. BTW, I store my guns muzzle up.
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

I store some muzzle up, some muzzle down. They fit in the safe better that-a-way.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA