Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder measures...

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Powder measures...

I have a Christmas sale flyer from MidSouth Shooter's Supply and they have a couple of these computerised powder measure and charge dispensers on sale, Hornady, Lyman and RCBS. Does any body out there have any experience with these items?? I'm wondering about buying a nice Christmas present for me.

Bill Shuey
    1st Maine Hvy. Art.

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Re: Powder measures...

Bill,
    I'm also interested in buying myself something neat. After all, it'll be the right size, and color and I won't have to return it. All I know is no manufacturer will recommend for black powder and they have a small problem with rod like smokeless powders. They don't seem to throw consistent charges with them. But it may only be a tenth or so off. I thought I heard that one manufacturer (can't remember) had a solution for that problem. Can't remember if it was a manufacturing or procededural solution. Keep on searching the www for answers before you commit. Not much to go on. After that it's either price or personal preference.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Ron/The Old Reb Guest

Bill
    Before for you invest in one get on Midways or Cabela's web sight and read all the reviews. I too, a couple years ago got the hots for one of these measures. But before I committed to buying one I read all the reviews that I could fine. Some people bragged them up as the best thing since slice bread. Others said that they were nothing but junk. I found that there seamed to be more cons then pros. I remember one where the person said that when he was in the basement reloading and his daughter was up stairs talking on a cell phone it made the measurer go wacky and would not throw an accurate charge. So I stayed with my old B & M measurer and my old OHAUS D5 scale. May be slow but a lot less headaches.

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

I have the older RCBS electroninc scale and powder measure, and I do like it - but I only use it when I'm putting together a batch of "match grade" ammunition. I.e., weighing all the bullets too. I think the new ones operate faster. I usually get within five grains of my desired weight with a Lee powder scoop, then let the machine throw the rest of the charge.

Is it necessary? No.

Would I buy it again? Yes.
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher

You may want to check the forums at 6mmbr.com. There are several threads dealing with just such measures and how to "hot rod" them and also make them more accurate. Still $200 plus seems like a lot to pay for a powder measure. Just my $.02
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

Region:
    Visitor

Bill, you may also want to consider what your homeowners and/or medical insurance company might do if the unexpected happens and you were using a device that the manufacturer has specifically stated wasn't designed for use with black powder. I believe in most states, If the insurance company can prove that you were grossly negligent then they are off the hook with regard to covering the loss. For example, if your car is stolen and you went away and left it running then I believe in most states the insurance company is off the hook with regard to covering the loss. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I faced this question when I bought my Lyman BP measure. I originally bought the one for smokeless powder and then as I was reading the instructions it stated specifically it was not for use with BP. I sent it back as it was sold to me for BP use and got the Lyman BP measure in return.

There is a reason why they have to change the internal parts of a BP measure to be extra careful where static electricity is concerned. You have a bomb right in front of your face if something untoward happens and there is a static spark. Ask yourself the question: "Can you stand the potential damage to yourself and to your house if the insurance company won't cover let alone the problems even if they will."

Check out the, Lyman BP, Harrel BP, and the old B&M (Belding & Mull) powder measures if you want one that is specifically designed for black powder. Also, realize that a B&M will probably throw charges to within .2 of a grain (when using Swiss 2F or 1 1/2F) if you do your part.

The gentleman, Joe Hepsworth, who led the Long Range Muzzle Loader team from the US in the 2009 World Championships, now deceased, would use a B&M to throw charges on the range when he wasn't seriously competing. LRML matches begin at 200 yards and mostly go to 1000 although some go to 1200 yards in England. I recently read something that indicated what a deviation of so much powder would do at a certain range in a LR target rifle. I'll see if I can run it to ground,

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Gents: have been following this thread with interest, thinking of investing in one myself. Was kinda thinking along the line of a Lyman 55 BP, but wonder if the more expensive ones you guys are mentioning would be worth the extra investment. Are the main advantages the calibration or consistency of charge? How about removing the unused powder between sessions, I imagine some are easier than others? Thanks in advance, best follow someone if you have to go through a minefield. Tom
    Tom Montgomery, 14th MS

Region:
    Visitor

As promised I dug up the information on how much variation in bullet strike elevation results from a variation in powder weight.

Back around 1888, John Halford, one of, if not, the leading British marksman did some experiments with Curtis & Harvey #6 (Swiss 1 1/2 has about the same ballistics - think of Swiss 1 1/2 as being the larger granules of 2F and Swiss 2F as being the smaller granules of what we think of as 2F).

He found that 1 grain of powder difference made a difference in impact of 1 minute of angle at 1000 yards. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that at shorter ranges it would also have the same variance. It would be nice to assume that, but it really should be tested and verified. He was probably using a bullet somewhere around 550 grains, but no less than 530. His charge was probably somewhere between 80 and 90 grains of Curtis & Harvey #6 (or today's Swiss 1 1/2).

I'll see what some of the LRML (200-1000 yards) shooters think and get back to you?

Region:
    Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Pat in Virginia
    There is a reason why they have to change the internal parts of a BP measure to be extra careful where static electricity is concerned. You have a bomb right in front of your face if something untoward happens and there is a static spark.
    Your might find this experiment of interest: Can a static spark set off black powder?

David
    David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Region:
    Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Pat in Virginia
    Back around 1888..........
    The experiments by William Metford pre-date that by 20 years and relate to .45 cal rifles. William Metford and Henry Halford worked together for many years on long range target shooting in particular.

David
    David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history