Thread: Wheel weights

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Wheel weights

Do any of you guys use wheel weights in any of the skirmish guns you shoot. I know its a no no for musket but I wonder if they are alright in carbine or smoothbore even.

Team:
    Winslow Battery, 1st New York
    9775V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Re: Wheel weights

for breechloader and cartridge guns i will use hard lead some also use it for smoothbore especially if they need a larger size than the molds throw.
    matt
    winslow's battery 9775v

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

I have used wheel weights for many years with good success. Adding 2% tin makes the wheel weight lead more fluid and cast better. Some skirmishers use softer lead (but not near dead soft) than wheel weights with good success. The low pressure and velocities we get with black powder make very hard lead unnecessary. But, using harder lead than wheel weights works well also.

Extremely hard lead probably not work as well as wheel weights with black powder because it will not obturate well enough. I think obturate means to swell in diameter and cause a pressure between the bullet and barrel that keeps pressure and gas from leaking past.

If you search the internet, I think you will find more about this subject than you want to know. You probaly found more here than you want to know.

Good luck,

David
    DAVID FRANCE

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

I have used wheel weights for many years with good success. Adding 2% tin makes the wheel weight lead more fluid and cast better. Some skirmishers use softer lead (but not near dead soft) than wheel weights with good success. The low pressure and velocities we get with black powder make very hard lead unnecessary. But, using harder lead than wheel weights works well also.

Extremely hard lead probably not work as well as wheel weights with black powder because it will not obturate well enough. I think obturate means to swell in diameter and cause a pressure between the bullet and barrel that keeps pressure and gas from leaking past.

If you search the internet, I think you will find more about this subject than you want to know. You probaly found more here than you want to know.

Good luck,

David
    DAVID FRANCE

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

When I was casting and loading for Henry team competition I used straight wheelweights. They cast good and shot good in my 44/40 Henry. I no longer participate in the Henry team competition for personal reasons.

Wheelweights are way too hard to use for musket or carbine bullets. I use only soft lead for both.

Paul
    Paul D. Stoneburner 08037-V
    Mosby's Rangers 029 TW
    N-SSA Sutler Officer

6. Re: Wheel weights

Yes I use wheelweights to cast my smoothbore balls and get good results. It's gun specific - you gotta try it and see if yours likes wheelweights.

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

For my Henry, I start out with hard lead, but soften it until the craters dissappear from bullet bases the where the sprue cutter hits. I'm guessing wheel weights are over 16 BHN. My Henry bullets are about 12 BHN.

If I have scrap lead that's a little hard (BHN 6 or 7) I will use it for Smith Carbine bullets, but that's nowhere near as hard as wheel weights.

I think using wheel weights for smoothbore rounds is alright.
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher