Thread: Lyman/Zoli Zuave Loading tips

1. Lyman/Zoli Zuave Loading tips

I acquired a Lyman /Zoli Zuave 2 band rifle. Tried a Lee hollow base traditional minee bullet, Dismal results. The bullets were about .575 dia as cast and would thumb start 3/4 of their length then a bit of help with a short starter. The bullets were carefully visually inspected and lubed with crisco. The bullet would seat with no resistance. My lead would pass the Thumbnail test but may not quite pure. 50- 60gr of fffg. Any suggestions? The bore should be .575 dia. My primary thing is shooting and building flintlocks so the percussion rifle is a new diversion.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Re: Lyman/Zoli Zuave Loading tips

First thing I would advise is to back off the powder charges. I shoot 38.5 in my 2 bander and it will group better than the nut holding the butt is capable of.
    Most skirmishers shoot between 35 and 45 grs. of 3f.
    Paul D. Stoneburner 08037-V
    Mosby's Rangers 029 TW
    N-SSA Sutler Officer

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

My Zoli would always shoot three traditional .575's dead on and then go haywire. This with 35 or 40 grains. I then tried the Lyman .575494 minie which has sort of a wadcutter look. No consistancy at 35, 40, 45 grains, was ready to throw in the towel. Did throw inthe towel. Then tried 50 grains fffg--all dead on at 50 yds. Stayed consistant thru 12 shots, then quit the test. Sterling performance at Brierfield, AL, then a natl gold team medal even though the shooter, me, spazed out a bit. Always pick good team-mates.

Region:

My Lyman Zoli Zuave takes a semi-wad cutter Rapine sized to .580" 42 grains 3Fffg. Rounds loads w/o issue.

BTW: You stated you're thumbing the round and then using a short starter. Here at N-SSA we only use the ramrod to load - Never putting our hand, thumb, or body (or tool) in front of the muzzle once the bullet is placed into the barrel.

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

Back to the original post, do I infer you are still a "roundballer?" You need to find an N-SSA team and join the real fun. You'll toss out that round ball stuff like yesterday's dishwater.

6. Re: Lyman/Zoli Zuave Loading tips

So far I would have a hard time hitting a bucket with this rifle at 50 yds. With a smooth bore trade gun I can shoot 3-4 in groups with out a rear sight. So this rifled gun is something of a dissapointment so far. I plan to visit Printer John Dewald's shop for some info. He's only 25 miles away. He shoots the same gun he told me so maybe he can put me on the right track.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

My zoli has a bore 0f .573 so those minies you are using may be a little on the large size. I have to size my ammo down to 571. If you would like I can send you a few for you to try out. If so P.M. me and give me your address