Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Misinformation You Can Find in Magazines.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Misinformation You Can Find in Magazines.

I found some misinformation in a recently published magazine. The magazine very clearly stated that 1f or 2f black powder will burn faster that smaller granule size powder (3f). It explained that the large granules help the powder burn faster because the allows more room for air that aids combustion. I think most N-SSA members know that black powder does not need air at all to burn. Potassium nitrate (also called saltpetre) provides oxygen when it is heated that allows the charcoal and sulfur to burn.

There are a lot of good magazines and books published with accurate information.

David
    DAVID FRANCE

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Re: Misinformation You Can Find in Magazines.

Some stuff like this is stupid. Some is downright dangerous. I was at a "gunsmith" shop at a tourist attraction a number of years ago where the proprietor, when asked "Are these guns safe," told the inquirer that "We once loaded one of these guns all the way to the end of the barrel with black powder, pushed in a ball, and set her off. Nothing happened." Yes I did inform the management about the problem.

Region:

Good point Eggman,

I have heard several people say that if you load a black powder firearm with black powder to the end of the barrel, you can't cause damage to the firearm, because the pressure will be to low. But, I have seen referances to tests that showed a maximum pressure of 100,000 psi can be reached with black powder.

David
    DAVID FRANCE

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

but once you get past 130 or so grains you are burning the rest of the powder outside of the barrel.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

Can you site a test to back this up? I've seen many barrel failure tests via the old Buckskin Report but have never heard this claim. Increasing the powder charge always raised pressure - increments added often passing the 200 grain range with pressure readings always steadily increasing..

John Holland is online now Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Eggman -

Do you remember/know why the Buckskin Report folded?

JDH

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

I guess the bottom line was they spread themselves too thin. They first expanded to a second magazine - "Black Powder Cartridge Rifles," and when this met with limited success, they folded it into the "Buckskin Report" and changed the name of the latter to "The Blackpowder Report." Of course the hard core buckskinners objected to this and membership began to sag. Then John Baird retired and that was the final straw. The magazine folded in the late 80s.
    Anyway at its peak the "Buckskin Report" was hell bent for leather after "junk" guns and began documenting failures. Then a guy (metalurgical expert) named Jim Kelly from Michigan began running tests. Much very valuable data came out of this. One outcome was the questioning of the use of "Stressproof" steel, or 1214, I forget which, by Bill Large. Much controversy. I documented two rifle failures, a Thompson Center and a Sharon, for the magazine myself.
    I have pretty much all the "Reports" with the analytical data in my library. John Baird died five or six years ago and has since been elected to the NMLRA hall of fame.
    "Ask me what time it is and I'll build you a watch."

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:

A couple of comments relating back to the topic of black powder overload. The tests showed that adding more powder continuously raised breech pressure. The pressure readings keep getting higher and higher eventually reaching astronomical levels. Meanwhile, bullet velocity also increases, but not nearly so fast as the pressure. There are no exceptions to this principle. like for example, claiming that after 130 grains excess powder is simply expelled.
    Most failures were due to short started balls - the ball not pushed all the way down to the powder, and then fired. The object of gunmakers is to build barrels that bulge, or ring, when this occurs. Improper steel often leads to catestrophic failure, fragmentation, the grenade effect.
    Next gun you buy ask what steel is in it. Make the seller assure you that the steel is tough, not brittle. Get the steel number and look up its characteristics on the Internet. The Italian gunmakers have this science mastered.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:

Then there was this article on the repro New Model 1859 Pedersoli Sharps that commented that it had a HUGE powder chamber. The idiot/author went on to explain that he shot it anyway!

He didn't know enough about percussion Sharps to realize that the stainless steel chamber sleeve was missing from the carbine!!!!

YUK! YUK! YUK!!!

Region:

I think 1214 steel mentioned in one of the postings, is 12L14 steel. It has the advantage of being easy to machine, but it isn't very strong.

I know it is used for some muzzle loader barrels. But, I don't think it would be used for firearms that use smokeless powder. It probably is as strong as original CW era barrels. I am pretty sure it would not be used on high voume produced firearms.

I think the Bill Large barrels I have owned were 12L14.

I wouldn't want to fill a 12L14 barrel with black powder.

David
    DAVID FRANCE