Thread: Need sear spring for enfield

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Need sear spring for enfield

Hey guys, I noticed on my navy arms lock there was a coil spring where the sear spring should be. On closer inspection it is apparent that the spring has broken and someone had stuck the coil spring in its place, giving the musket about a 12 lb trigger pull.

Where can I find a replacement part? Its an italian navy arms mustketoon 58 cal.

Thanks,
    Eterry

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Re: Need sear spring for enfield

Eterry, some Italian repro use a coiled wire spring for the sear spring, and they do so because its cheaper than making a flat spring or making a investment casting of an original pattern. Depending on the internal design and fitting may not permit you to change it out with an original sear spring or one made like an original sear spring. I seem to recall that Euroarms used a flat spring, but I seem to recall one of my early Navy Arms replicas (30 years ago) used a coiled wire sear spring. If you think your 12-lb trigger pull is so horrendous, original Enfields were designed for a 15-lb trigger pull as the standard. But men back in that day were REAL MEN!
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Ok, lemme be more specific...there is what is left of a flat spring that is mounted onto the lock plate via screw as usual, then where the bend would start it is broken, a look with magnification confirms that is broke off. On the sear itself there is a rub mark where the old spring used to rest. If you cock it several times (5-6) out of the musket the spring will fly out as it was not designed to be there. I bought it from a pawn shop and I'm sure it wasnt working and someone there cobbled it together to sell it.

So again, does anyone know where I can find a replacement part for this model? I'm pretty sure DGW would have one but I hear shipping will be 2-3 times the cost of the part and was hoping someone would have a source for parts.

Thanks
    Eterry

Ron/The Old Reb Guest

Eterry
    Try S & S Firearms
    www.ssfirearms.com

Team:
    1st Stuart Horse Artillery
    10745V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Check with Euroarms of America. E. Picadilly St. in Winchester, VA. They handle parts that are reasonably priced. If you are there during the week, you can pick it up at the store.
    Gene

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

I just got a Euroarms Enfield sear spring from S&S to replace a broken one in a Parker Hale Enfield- cost was $8. The thing is very strong but works OK. I'll be working on it to reduce the trigger pull.
    Their catalog is online by the way, and there is a link to it under "Links" on this website. Their service was fast - priority mail got it here in a few days.