Thread: Henry "chain fire"

1. Henry "chain fire"

From another discussion group at http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=296344

John Gross
    P.S.: This did not happen to me. I am just passing the information along.
    I had the unfortunate experience of a chain fire in the magazine while loading my Uberti made henry rifle in 45 colt...I had just loaded about ten cartridges (yes they were flat nose) when my thumb slipped off the follower which made it slam down on the stack of cartridges...next thing I remember I was standing looking down at a stream of blood flowing from my nose. All ten cartridges exploded in the magazine sending a bunch of brass right into my face, chest and arms. My father and a bunch of my friends from the shooting range rushed over to see what had happened because of the godawful noise this made...next thing ya know I was speeding down the highway on the was to the hospital...I remember Mickey holding a t-shirt to my chest and me holding another rag of some sort to my nose. When I got to the hospital my wife was there, (she was a nurse in the emergency room, and on duty!) and all the people taking care of me I knew personally...Well I lived to tell the tale...but I hope this lesson will save anybody else from the same fate...I can only surmise that I had a high primer on one of the 45 colt cartridges...you can believe I inspect the heck out of the primers now after I reload a bunch on my trusty dillon 550..

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    "......I can only surmise that I had a high primer on one of the 45 colt cartridges....."

sound to me like he had hgh primer on more then one round. Same way this happened at the Fort a few years ago.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

3. This sounds like he might have used rifle primers instead of pistol primers. Just enough difference to make them sit high.
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region