Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the maker and Small Arms approval?

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Who is the maker and Small Arms approval?

I received an e mail from a company I have dealt with in the past and I noticed they now carry an 1842 Musket and the Palmetto variant for the price of $ 451.00!

This is not a Pedersoli, could they be Armi Sports?

Check out the site:

http://www.loyalistarms.com/springfield1842.html

What do you think?

Digger
    R.C. "Digger" Huntoon
    N-SSA # 1504V - 1970 - present
    1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry

Region:
    None

Re: Who is the maker and Small Arms approval?

Bob,
    From the pictures I would say they look like muskets made in India. I tried to access some of the boxes at the top of the screen to get more information but none of them would bring up another screen. Very strange!
    Lee

3. Re: Who is the maker and Small Arms approval?

Bob,

I asked several years ago, and they were then made in India. They since have also started offering Pedersoli made arms at a much higher price in addition to their India made guns. There have been some barrel failures on some of the India made guns. So buyer beware!!!!
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region

4. Re: Who is the maker and Small Arms approval?

The description for the Palmetto states that it has brass furniture, and the picture appears to show brass bands, trigger guard and butt plate (and possibly the sideplate too). The originals which were brass mounted (not all were) only had the brass bands. This MAY have an affect on SAC approval.

Looks nice in the picture though, with the polished steel and the brass furniture

John Gross

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Re: Who is the maker and Small Arms approval?

Contact has been made to this company and they are of Indian manufacture.

Suppose at the price break that buying one of these and getting a new barrel MIGHT be a practical solution to getting a reasonably priced smoothbore musket.

Just have to do the math when compared to a Pedersoli or an Armi Sport.

Digger
    R.C. "Digger" Huntoon
    N-SSA # 1504V - 1970 - present
    1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Smile Palmetto musket

Hello folks as it turns out I did the same thing -Bought a 1795 musket in flint looks just like the origianals Ive looked at w/ few acceptions -Works great! But sac wont allow the Indian barrels- as you said- it is cost efective to rebarrel-As I am going to do just that. I proofed my barrel by putting a double charge in it and removing the barrel from the stock incase it did blow it wouldent ruin the wood-Used 114 grns of tripple F and two balls and put it in a lead sled gun vice and fused it -took measurements of barrel in and out after setting it off! heck of a bang! didnt blow up and measurements showed no swelling- have shot it several times W/ good results-The type of steel they use compares to 10-40 hot rolled cold drawn Had a freind check this out at Fabritech by the numbers given at the bottom of the screen that gives type of steel composition. Muskets are very nice as I cansee as far as flint guns go as most if not all were hand made- Screws are just as old ones no machined metric stuff! All appears to be fair quality for indian made arms as these folks claime to go over them as they receive them to emsure quality. And they try to mark them as origianals were marked- Could have a better eagle stamp on the lock but every thing else loks to be fine- Not saying Im an expert or anything like that but I have hd and handle quite a few oldies.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

beware

These props are shipped into the country without the vents drilled. This is to get them into the country without them being considered firearms at all. They look pretty but I would be very careful. The importer absolutely refuses to identify the maker. Beware!!!

I would not shoot without Hoyt or Whitacre barrel on it.

Region:
    Visitor
    I know the company (companies), they usally exhibit their goods on the IWA show in Nürnberg, Germany. I talked to the representatives last year and they clearly said that their guns are absolutely not manufactured for shooting. These guns are manufactured in India and Pakistan. I would say it is not only barrel question. The wood can be dangerous also if it breaks after a shot.

We tested some of the guns in the Hungarian CIP gun proofing laboratory. Some were good, some were immediately rejected after checking the bore with endoscope.

Take care. The cheapest gun can be the most expensive for your health...

Cheers,
    SC

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I would never purhcase a firearm to use as an actual firearm that was not manufactured for use as an actual firearm.

If you are taking a decoration and drilling a touch hole in it to make it fire, you are taking a big risk.

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Steve,

The issue is that most/many of these people looking at or considering these kind of "thingies" are only looking at the price/monies they might have to spend. If they can save 40 or 50 bucks on a piece of furniture (firearm), that leaves them $500. for that hand made/hand sown frock coat. (problem is, the frock coat ain't going to hurt them or anybody when it coms apart!)
    They know nothing of the actual firearm, nor do they care! It is a game to them. One that they want to play at, and, as a side note, everybody knows shooting blanks are not hazardous or dangerous.
    You have seen how some of these "play time Warriors" react to person (like yourself) who have an interest in actual live firing of the Primary tool of a soldier. (Yes! I am being very sarcastic!)
    Blair
    Last edited by Blair; 02-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.