Thread: 1851 Cadet SAC question

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

1851 Cadet SAC question

Question for the SAC. Are there any modified (shortened) versions of the 1851 Cadet smoothbores that are authorized / approved? (I'm thinking along the lines of the M1842 & the CS Macon alterations / modification to 30", 34" or 36".)
    If so, can I get a copy of the inspection sheet for it?
    If not, can anyone recommend a good & talented stock repairer or source for a replacement stock?
    Mine has a few chips & chunks missing Around the lock & tang, but is "duffle cut" under the mid-band and is missing about 4.5" off of the muzzle end.

Thanks in advance,
    JM
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life."-- Theodore Roosevelt.
    "Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I
    am st
    rong."-- JOEL 3:10.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Mr. McAlister - Although there are known shortened versions of the M-1851 Cadet, none of these have been approved for use in the N-SSA. The reason for this is that in the N-SSA Rules it is spelled out quite specifically that for any arm to be considered for use it the N-SSA must be accompanied by original primary documentation showing that a minimum of 100 such arms were made for use in the Civil War. One of our late Small Arms Committee members and I studied these for quite a few years, but we were not able to provide the minimum numbers required.

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Mr. McAlister - Although there are known shortened versions of the M-1851 Cadet, none of these have been approved for use in the N-SSA. The reason for this is that in the N-SSA Rules it is spelled out quite specifically that for any arm to be considered for use it the N-SSA must be accompanied by original primary documentation showing that a minimum of 100 such arms were made for use in the Civil War. One of our late Small Arms Committee members and I studied these for quite a few years, but we were not able to provide the minimum numbers required.
    Thanks, Mr Holland! That is exactly what I needed to know!
    Does anyone have a recomendation for someone who could repair (and lengthen) or replace a Cadet stock?
    Thanks to all!

JM
    Palmetto Guard
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life."-- Theodore Roosevelt.
    "Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I
    am st

Region:
    Mr. Jim Parker, of Calvary Longrifles, is one of the best. His number is (205) 680-9219. Google Calvarylongrifles (not CAVALRY) and look at some of his work. His shop is just north of Birmingham, an hour from Brierfield State Park. Hope this helps. jh

Team:
    Region:
    Is there any source for replacement wood for the 1851 Cadet (fore end or whole stock)? I basically need an 1851 fore end from the rear band forward. I see where S&S HAD 1851 fore ends at one time, but they're currently out of stock.
    am st

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

cadet forearm

John Bly lists them on his " replacement forearms list for sale", you should be able to find one of his old posts here, and send him a private message. ( He does a fantastic job with them, I've used many)
    Steve

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I do have a cadet forend pattern, unfortunately it is not a very good one and the thinness of it makes it one of the most difficult to cut. It is better than none at all and a good craftsman can make it up into a decent finished item.