Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ArmiSport Sharps problem

Team:
    10th Massachusetts Battery, Light Artillery
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

ArmiSport Sharps problem

My wife is having a terrible problem with misfires with her ArmiSport Sharps. Most of the time the gun will not fire on the first cap, but will fire on the second (or third) cap. We have checked out the flash channel and it looks clear. Had anyone else ever experienced this problem with this gun?
    Michael Ivancic
    Adjutant
    N-SSA #12604

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:

Re: ArmiSport Sharps problem

Dear Mike and Stacey

Get a Smith

Love,
    Preacher Lou
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    2078V
    Region:

We might need a little more information to diagnose the problem. Is your wife using paper cartridges and, if so, is the breechblock shearing off the end of the cartridge as designed? How many grains of powder in the cartridges and does that fill the chamber? What type of caps are being used? The flash channel in the breechblock must be thoroughly cleaned after every shooting session. If not, that would be at least part of the problem.

Because the flash channel (vent) makes two right angle turns in the breechblock, hot caps are essential. I used to use German (RWS) caps in both my musket and carbine. About the time the German caps started being packaged in plastic containers I started having misfires in my Shiloh Sharps. I switched to CCI 5-wing caps and the misfire problem went away. CCI no longer markets the 5-wing caps and their new 4-wing caps, marketed for the blank shooting re-enacting crowd, are not as hot. When my supply of 5-wing caps runs out I might need to try the wingless caps which are said to be relatively hot.
    Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Team:
    Region:

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou Lou
    Dear Mike and Stacey

Get a Smith

Love,
    Preacher Lou
    Thanks as always Lou!
    Michael Ivancic
    Adjutant
    N-SSA #12604

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:

Sorry Mike

While Sharps do have a large group of fans, they are persnickety. Go through the archives under Sharps to get an idea of the issues. I will more than likely get hate mail. Get a Smith!

Love,
    Preacher Lou
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Region:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Burgess_2078V
    We might need a little more information to diagnose the problem. Is your wife using paper cartridges and, if so, is the breechblock shearing off the end of the cartridge as designed? How many grains of powder in the cartridges and does that fill the chamber? What type of caps are being used? The flash channel in the breechblock must be thoroughly cleaned after every shooting session. If not, that would be at least part of the problem.
    Hi Jim: We are both using the tubes from Charlie Hahn. We are gluing curling paper over the end to hold the powder on, making sure only to get one sheet of paper on each tube. The ArmiSport uses 35 grains of 3F, the Pedersoli is setup the same way using longer tubes with 46 grains of 2F and some cornmeal filler. The cartridge for the ArmiSport is about an 1/8" short of filling the chamber, however if you position the cartridge flush with the end of the breach it doesn't seem to help. We clean the breachblock after every session, including removing the nipple and cleanout screw and running a pipe cleaner down the flash channel.

Because the flash channel (vent) makes two right angle turns in the breechblock, hot caps are essential. I used to use German (RWS) caps in both my musket and carbine. About the time the German caps started being packaged in plastic containers I started having misfires in my Shiloh Sharps. I switched to CCI 5-wing caps and the misfire problem went away. CCI no longer markets the 5-wing caps and their new 4-wing caps, marketed for the blank shooting re-enacting crowd, are not as hot. When my supply of 5-wing caps runs out I might need to try the wingless caps which are said to be relatively hot.
    Jim Burgess, 15th CVI
    The gun did seem to fire better with the 5-wing caps, but it would still misfire. RWS and the new 4-wing caps seem worse. We have yet to try the wingless caps, not even sure who makes them? The Pedersoli fires every time with the CCI 4-wing caps.
    Michael Ivancic
    Adjutant
    N-SSA #12604

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Mike,

I am going to be a newbie with the Sharps carbine. I plan on getting familiarized and shooting one this fall to shoot in competition next year. Hopefully Charlie Hahn will see your post and help you with your dilema. You said you clean the flash channel out with a pipe cleaner, could that be pushing crud into the sharp right angles of the channel blocking the spark? Have you tried pouring solvent (moose milk, ballistol mixed w/water etc.)thru the flash channel to flush any fouling out? Just my 2 cents. The wingless caps I use for my musket are RWS, switched to them because they cost $30.00 less per sleeve for a thousand than the winged RWS, and they do seem to be hotter, haven't had a misfire with them and have been using them for 2 years now. Hope this helps.

P.S. Lou Lou Lou, fellow skirmishers have tried talking me into a Smith, but for now, I like to try the Sharps, not saying that a Smith would be out of the question down the road.
    Francis J. Miller Jr. (Herb)
    Lancaster Fencibles / 79th PVI
    Middle Atlantic Region
    153-MA - 2601V
    Middle Atlantic Region Provost Marshal
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Ron/The Old Reb Guest

Are you sure that you are not getting some fuzz from the pipe cleaners left in the flash channel and nipple. I have had that problem when cleaning out nipple's withe pipe cleaners.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

If there is a gap between the end of the nipple and the bottom of the hole the nipple screws into, that can cause a misfire.

My sharps cuts off the end of the paper and that is very reliable. However for the first shot of a relay, I turn the barrel upwards and tap on the side of the carbine a couple times. That puts some powder into the flash hole and makes the first shot fire every time.

Good luck!

David
    DAVID FRANCE

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Over the years I have used several brands of Sharps including an original rifle. In all of them I found that, depending on the nipple, it improved reliability of fire if I drilled the nipple out about one or two drill sizes bigger. Seemed to get more fire down the flash channel. I used RWS and the old Navy Arms Brazilian caps back then and with the nipple opened up had no problems.

Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT