Thread: Rear sight on a Taylor's 56-50 Spencer carbine

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Rear sight on a Taylor's 56-50 Spencer carbine

I just got my Taylor's 56-50 Spencer carbine. It's a safe queen, idk if it's been shot.
    Low serial number.
    Here's my question;
    Is there supposed to be a rear sight with the ladder down? Usually the answer is Yes.
    All she has is a mostly flat piece of blued steel with no notch.
    The ladder, of course, has a notch at the bottom, the notch on the adjustable ladder, and a notch at the very top of the ladder.
    I find it hard to imagine a soldier had to flip up the ladder to use the sight. He'd never remember that when lead was in the air.

Yes, I've looked at the SORI on the SSS. The most recent info there is circa 2016, most from the early 2000's. And I saw nothing about the rear sight, other than someone was selling aftermarket ones 15 years ago.

Thanks all.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello, Eterry:
    The Armisport Spencer and originals have a rear sight consisting of a base, flat spring, cross screw, "ladder"/staff, sliding cross bar on the ladder, and a small screw at the top of the ladder to retain the cross bar.
    You can do an Internet search for Spencer rear sight or the Owner Manual that should have come with the carbine has a parts diagram. Also, search for Armisport Chiappa Service Center in Dayton OH and contact them. If you PM me here with your email address, I will send photo's.
    My guess is the cross bar screw at the top of the ladder and sliding cross bar are missing. That bar often slides from lack of friction.
    Edited for typo's. K
    Smiles,
    Kevin Tinny
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 1 Week Ago at 07:14 AM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Tinny View Post
    Hello, Eterry:
    The Armisport Spencer and originals have a rear sight consisting of a base, flat spring, cross screw, "ladder"/staff, sliding cross bar on the ladder, and a small screw at the top of the ladder to retain the cross bar.
    You can do an Internet search for Spencer rear sight or the Owner Manual that should have come with the carbine has a parts diagram. Also, search for Armisport Chiappa Service Center in Dayton OH and contact them. If you PM me here with your email address, I will send photo's.
    My guess is the cross bar screw at the top of the ladder and sliding cross bar are missing. That bar often slides from lack of friction.
    Edited for typo's. K
    Smiles,
    Kevin Tinny
    So you have to raise the ladder to use the sights?
    I grew up using, and still use, iron sights, I even hunt deer with irons. But this carbine doesn't have what I was expecting in the rear sight. I wanted to know if I'm missing something.
    The gun was not new, didn't have a manual, and less than one of the first 1000 made. I downloaded a manual, but it doesn't show a sighting plane without raising the ladder.

Team:
    Region:
    Hello, Eterry:

I received your PM, and just emailed you photo's of an Armisport rear sight assembly with cross-bar that slides up/down the raised staff. The staff, when laying flat, should have a small notch in its round base. There have been many variations over approx. twenty years in Armisport Spencer's, but I have not yet encountered one without a slider bar on the rear staff. Smiles.
    Kevin Tinny

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    If your Spencer is like an original M-1860, the ladder can be folded backwards and there will be no 100 yard sight notch. See attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Reb View Post
    If your Spencer is like an original M-1860, the ladder can be folded backwards and there will be no 100 yard sight notch. See attached picture.
    Thanks to everyone. The ladder sight was put on upside down. I removed it, turned it over, and now have the smallest of a notch to sight through.
    My mold, dies, and brass are enroute, hopefully I'll be casting bullets next week.
    I can't wait.

Next...I need to lighten the trigger pull... I'm currently using my middle finger to trip the sear.

Team:
    Region:
    Good news, Eterry:
    Odd that the sight staff was reversed.
    Thanks for PM'ing me that the present trigger pull weight is 20+#'s.
    Sent a PM.
    Thanks.
    Kevin Tinny
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 1 Week Ago at 10:30 AM.