Thread: Wesson Carbine

1. Wesson Carbine

Today acquired a project Wesson Carbine that is basically stock, barrel, receiver, hammer and triggers. In short so beat up, I am thinking of relining in 44-40 and conversion to center fire. Needs lots of parts: All internals, right hand link, trigger guard. Anybody have these available?

Might consider selling it if parts are not available.
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Re: Wesson Carbine

Given Frank Wesson’s many patent infringements on Maynard’s tilting-breech design, perhaps Larry Romono may be able to help you out parts-wise? Of course, I can’t say that you’ll ever get that stench off your hands because no decent Southerner would ever foul his hands to touch much less buy no “Red-leg” gun!
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

3. Re: Wesson Carbine

Richard,

As my middle name is Armistead, I do consider myself Southern. (yes, Louis is kin.)

As I recall, at the time, True Southerners loved to pick up Yankee guns after they had turned tail in the face of the boys in Grey! :P They would use them to keep the Yankee hordes at bay. Trouble was, there was just too many of them.

Besides, as I had kin folk on both sides(Flints werefrom Indiana), any period gun feels and smells just fine to me.

Thanks for the tip. I will check that out.
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

My family is kind of unique as well. On my mom's side, her great-great-grandfather served in Zackary Taylor's 7th U.S. Infantry Regiment under General Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans, while my dad's great-great-grandfather served in one of the British regiments in the Bladensburg Races, and attended the barbeque at the White House that got out of hand and burnt the place down! Still another of my father's maternal ancestors served in the Continential Army at Valley Forge while one of his paternal ancestor's served off-shore as a ship's surgeon in the British Navy, retiring to Nova Scotia in 1789. Fortunately, the only Yankee to marry into the family was later invited to a necktie party, at his own request! And if I knew where he was buried, what I'd do on his grave wouldn't pass for flowers!

Richard
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Parts wise there is NOTHING remotely similar between a Wesson and a Maynard. I have tinkered with and converted a Wesson to 44. Special CF. Easy to do. Sort of an awkward gun to skirmish with. I tried it a bit, but end the end a Ballard is second to none in breechloader II.

Yea, they're both Yankee iron, but they both work real good in these Southern Hands!!! :wink:

-Eddie
    Eddie Bruner
    2nd Kentucky Cavalry CSA/NSSA

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Ed -

Sent you an email.

John Holland

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Hey John,

Since there is a fair amount of latitude as to the basic Ballard action that can be used to build an acceptable breech loader, howsabout I outfit a Maynard in .44-40 and do the same thing? Green Sounds good to me, and I'll even let you play with it too if we can figure out a way to make it legal. :wink:

Regards,
    Charlie the Frog
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345