Thread: Breechloading/Carbine II Team Matches

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Breechloading/Carbine II Team Matches

While I understand that once Henry shooters exhaust their magazine in the breechloading team matches they can only reload in single-shot mode at the breech, but for those of us shooting a Spencer, once the magazine has been exhausted (heaven forbid), must the Spencer be reloaded using only the cartridge tins from a Blakelee cartridge box or may the shooter reload in single-shot mode at the breech drawing their ammo from a regular carbine cartridge box (like a Smith or Sharps cartridge box)? Also, can both type boxes be used on the firing line? Maybe some of the other Spencer shooters can respond.

Richard McAuley, 3014V
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

2. Re: Breechloading/Carbine II Team Matches

Dear Mr. McAuley here is the rule which I believe will answer your question

25.4 LOADING SPENCER FIREARMS
    a. The barrel of the firearm must be pointed downrange in a near-horizontal position
    during loading and reloading.
    b. The Spencer magazine may be loaded or reloaded with a Blakeslee loading tube.
    Lacking the Blakeslee device, the firearm must be reloaded singly with loose
    ammunition directly into the breech.

Thank You for asking
    Wade Huffman
    National IG

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Re: Breechloading/Carbine II Team Matches

Thank you sir. I'm sure I would have found that info eventually, and hopefully I won't need more than eight shots but just in case, it is good to know I can shoot in single shot mode like was done during the war. I don't know how the Italian repros fair, but I quite like this Yankee-made rifle!
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66