Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass bedding

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Reb View Post
    It is helpful to have the lock plate in the stock when bedding. Strip the lock, install the side nail screws (the long ones that hold the lock in the stock) from the outside of the plate, coat everything with mold release and install in the stock. This way you can be sure that the barrel bolster is seated in the lock plate correctly while bedding, and it?s easy to remove the plate by pulling on the side screws.
    This is an important point I did not mention. I would say it is critical that the lock plate be installed during bedding, because the rear-most lock screw generally passes through a notch in the base of the tang/barrel. If that screw is not in place and you bed the barrel, you won't be able to get the screw through the stock again.

Obviously the screw needs to be generously coated with mold release.

I'm skeptical of not installing the barrel bands and tang screw while glass bedding. I'd be afraid the barrel would be riding too high in the stock and the epoxy would set up and then the barrel bands won't go on. To me, I want that barrel mechanically locked down as it was prior to the bedding so that the bedding ends up only filling in the cavities in the locked-down state. But I'm no expert on this stuff and I've only ever done 2 of them.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    This is an important point I did not mention. I would say it is critical that the lock plate be installed during bedding, because the rear-most lock screw generally passes through a notch in the base of the tang/barrel. If that screw is not in place and you bed the barrel, you won't be able to get the screw through the stock again.

Obviously the screw needs to be generously coated with mold release.

I'm skeptical of not installing the barrel bands and tang screw while glass bedding. I'd be afraid the barrel would be riding too high in the stock and the epoxy would set up and then the barrel bands won't go on. To me, I want that barrel mechanically locked down as it was prior to the bedding so that the bedding ends up only filling in the cavities in the locked-down state. But I'm no expert on this stuff and I've only ever done 2 of them.

Steve
    Ok thanks again