Thread: Need advice on installing nose cap on Richmond carbine

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Need advice on installing nose cap on Richmond carbine

I?ve never worked on installing a nose cap on a Springfield type nose cap and need advice on installing one on Original 1861 that I am making up to conform to NSSA specs( thanks John Holland). What does the nose cap screw into? Just the wood or is there a metal piece that is inlet into the wood that the screw goes into? The screw does not look like a wood screw. Thanks for any help I get? this is my last piece to complete the carbine. Steve

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Hopefully I understand what you're asking, but if I understand it right your answer is pretty simple...

The nose cap screw comes down (The head of the screw faces the barrel), and goes through a hole in the wood at the nose into the metal nosecap. it will be threaded to receive it. You will need to countersink the hole of the screw on the side facing the barrel so the head of the screw doesn't contact the barrel. If you're inletting a stock, you'll need to do a good bit of fitting on the wood to get the nosecap to fit in the wood. The place to mount the nosecap will be mentioned in the spec sheet for the gun you're trying to build, if you're inletting.
    John Westenberger
    Co. B. 1st PA Cav.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by John Westenberger View Post
    Hopefully I understand what you're asking, but if I understand it right your answer is pretty simple...

The nose cap screw comes down (The head of the screw faces the barrel), and goes through a hole in the wood at the nose into the metal nosecap. it will be threaded to receive it. You will need to countersink the hole of the screw on the side facing the barrel so the head of the screw doesn't contact the barrel. If you're inletting a stock, you'll need to do a good bit of fitting on the wood to get the nosecap to fit in the wood. The place to mount the nosecap will be mentioned in the spec sheet for the gun you're trying to build, if you're inletting.
    John? Thank you for that excellent explanation? makes a lot more sense than my imagination dreamed up! I will proceed forward.

Steve

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    A small amount of glass bedding or epoxy, dyed black placed in or around the nose cap can eliminate any looseness that might exist. Any excess that might get on the surface of the stock & nose cap can be easily cleaned up with acetone.
    Jack Conway
    69th NY