Thread: Uniforms-- and Civil War History and more.

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    2977V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Uniforms-- and Civil War History and more.

I know no one wants to talk about uniforms or a lot of folks do. Fine-- but you have to have an approved uniform to shoot at a Sanctioned N-SSA Official Skirmish. That said, Again I am asking those members who have good research on their Teams Uniforms, one of a kind items or a really good research project-- to please donate them or copy it or get ready to donate them to the Uniform Committee or Museum. We have lost so many great members who did do research like this and it would be a crying shame if their work and effort died with them. I know of two that this has already happened. The same for Small Arms or Artillery research. We have so many whose brains and desks are filled back home with all this wonderful research and notes, that if they were suddenly gone would be lost to the ages. It takes years and years to get all the info or know someone who has it. Believe me, the Museums and Depositories of the World would love to have it. Working on a Depository to store this information. Every National Park or Historic Site keeps things like this in their Archives and yes people ask to have them pulled out to look at. Right Now people are starved for History and the N-SSA has a lot of it. Tom

Team:
    30th VA Sharpshooters Battl.
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Hi Tom,

I think this is a great idea that everyone should jump at. My unit is a newer unit however I would like to donate a copy of our uniform and/or one of our sharpshooter badges...if the museum is willing to have them on display. During my years of research there is little CS sharpshooter history out there, very few CS sharpshooter unit details still exist, and even more rare when discussing CS sharpshooter badges.

As the unit commander I'd be happy to provide a copy of our unit history, a CS sharpshooter badge historical write up, sharpshooter badge, and a uniform. Please let me know which of the items the museum would like to have and the process.
    Trent L.
    30th Virginia Sharpshooter Battalion
    N-SSA member since 2019
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Email us at: 30thvasharpshooterbn@gmail.com
    Facebook: 30thVaSSBn
    Instagram: @30thVaSharpshooterBn

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    As I suggested in the last thread on this topic, your best bet is to make a YouTube video about whatever it is you are trying to capture. For paper documentation, scan it and upload it to a Google Drive with open view access permissions.. This way it is essentially preserved for all time, and available to a global audience. Additionally, it requires no help, permission, or cooperation from anyone else to do it just the way you want it done.

There are many such videos out there already.

The internet was literally made for this kind of endeavor - for researchers to share information.
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLewis View Post
    Hi Tom,

I think this is a great idea that everyone should jump at. My unit is a newer unit however I would like to donate a copy of our uniform and/or one of our sharpshooter badges...if the museum is willing to have them on display. During my years of research there is little CS sharpshooter history out there, very few CS sharpshooter unit details still exist, and even more rare when discussing CS sharpshooter badges.

As the unit commander I'd be happy to provide a copy of our unit history, a CS sharpshooter badge historical write up, sharpshooter badge, and a uniform. Please let me know which of the items the museum would like to have and the process.
    Wonderful and thank you.... Will get back to you soon after the Nationals-- have some work to do on storage and notes... Tom

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    As I suggested in the last thread on this topic, your best bet is to make a YouTube video about whatever it is you are trying to capture. For paper documentation, scan it and upload it to a Google Drive with open view access permissions.. This way it is essentially preserved for all time, and available to a global audience. Additionally, it requires no help, permission, or cooperation from anyone else to do it just the way you want it done.

There are many such videos out there already.

The internet was literally made for this kind of endeavor - for researchers to share information.
    Yes that is one way to do it.... to get Press! Will again get back to you with more info. Tom

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Arliskas View Post
    Wonderful and thank you.... Will get back to you soon after the Nationals-- have some work to do on storage and notes... Tom

Sounds good! I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Trent L.
    N-SSA member since 2019

Team:
    Region:
    Hi Tom,

I know you have been keeping busy... Any update on when I can pass some items to you or put some items in the museum?
    Trent L.
    N-SSA member since 2019