Thread: Pedersoli

Team:
    Baltimore Rifles, 1st Maryland Vol.
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Pedersoli

Are Pedersoli guns worth the premium price?

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hempel View Post
    Are Pedersoli guns worth the premium price?
    My stepson has the Mississippi and out of the box it was a tack driver.

Three of my members have Pedersoli's and the guns will out shoot them any day.

One has the Zouave, One has a 3 band Richmond, One has the Cook and Brothers all of these guns will shoot.

Each one has a bore that is exactly .577 as far as my gauges go and with .576 rounds the load development time was nothing compared to some other makers.

So it depends if that is worth the premium price to ya.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I think Pedersoli makes some fine guns.

When they originally took over the tooling from Euroarms, some of their early Enfields were rough. I have a 3-digit serial number Pedersoli P58. The trigger guard was double-drilled for the tang screw. Brass shavings all under the barrel and in the lock action. Used a lot of left-over Euroarms parts. Clearly they were just ramping up production.

Later I bought a Pedersoli P53. All-new production. Nice machined rear sight. High quality springs.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    i have several Pedersoli rifles and muskets and can tell you they are wonderful pieces. Quality is outstanding. I have a 1861 Springfield that shoots point of aim at 100 yards using 6 o'clock hold.
    Last edited by Bill Stallings; 03-24-2023 at 06:44 AM.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Worth the price?

Short answer: it depends...

Long answer: To me? No.
    1300+ dollars for an 1861 springfield is crazy. You can get a pretty nice original for 1100, and a hoyt reline (if it even needs it) for 250, and for the same price, you will have a functionally brand new gun. If you shop around, you can come up with something even cheaper, or even nicer for the same price. Not only will the original shoot just as well, if not better, than a pedersoli, it will have a significantly higher resale value, should you choose to get out of the hobby. That being said, if you come across a pedersoli for a good deal (Sub 1000$), it would be worth picking picking up, since they do shoot good.

In short:
    Worth the premium price? No. Do they shoot good? Yes.
    Last edited by John Westenberger; 03-24-2023 at 10:34 AM.
    John Westenberger
    Co. B. 1st PA Cav.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    John
    the original lock parts on the Springfield are better than repro parts and available. The trigger pull on my Razeed hasn?t changed in 36 years and 75,000 rounds
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou Lou View Post
    John'
    the original lock parts on the Springfield are better than repro parts and available. The trigger pull on my Razeed hasn?t changed in 36 years and 75,000 rounds
    plenty of parts available for Pedersoli. They will ship directly from Italy no problem as I have done it and some importers carry parts as well.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou Lou View Post
    John
    Never said otherwise. I do agree, however. The lock parts on an original gun are generally regarded as superior to any mainstream reproduction parts. I've had very few issues with original parts on any original gun. The only two things I've ever replaced are a sear spring on an 1842 (The old one was worn out and had a crack), and a tumbler on a trenton 1861 that had a chip in the full cock notch that kept it from consistently staying at full cock. Other than that, the original parts are strong as can be, and rarely wear out. Your razeed is testament to that.

I will say, that Pedersoli lock parts are plenty strong for your average joe, but you probably won't get 36 years and 75k rounds out of it! That's testament to some excellent craftsmanship from the 1860's.
    John Westenberger
    Co. B. 1st PA Cav.

Team:
    30th VA Sharpshooters Battl.
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Hi,

You will find a lot of opinions and experiences to tell you yes and no.

The Pedersoli you see now and that has been around for 15ish years is a great product. They probably the best out of the box reproduction as far as quality and historically correct for a reproduction. They will shoot great and are they over priced...I think a little. You do get what you pay for. You can have someone build you a gun or buy a cheaper reproduction and sink money into it. It is really 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Do you want new or do you want to piece something together? It is easy to put money into either option.

I recommend finding someone that is a dealer for Pedersoli or a dealer for Taylor and Company in Winchester. I have a dealer account with Taylor and Company for my gun business and can usually get folks at least $100.00 off msrp...sometimes more.

I think it comes down to, do you want something new to put money into or do you want something used to put more money into...it ends up being about the same. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Pedersoli. Get on YouTube and see the tour of their factory. I think CapNBall channel has it up.
    Trent L.
    30th Virginia Sharpshooter Battalion
    N-SSA member since 2019
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Email us at: 30thvasharpshooterbn@gmail.com
    Facebook: 30thVaSSBn
    Instagram: @30thVaSharpshooterBn

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The days of the $1000 reproduction musket are over.

Just getting them may start to become a real problem. I believe Chiappa/Armisport may be exiting the business. I have tried to contact them for over a year regarding the 1842 and no one will return my call. I had spoken with David at Lodgewood last year and he cannot get any. I just got off the phone with Dixie Gun Works and they said that they hardly get anything from them anymore. They put in an order and maybe 2 years later they will get a few things in. She said they are focusing more on modern firearms. And based on Chiappa's facebook page, that seems to be the case.

Last year The Regimental Quartermaster posted that they had gotten in a shipment of Pedersoli 1861 Springfields and Lorenz rifles. They were like $1600 and $1700 respectively.

I agree that you cannot beat the workmanship of originals. Their heat treating and fitment of their locks are second-to-none. Nothing modern holds a candle to it.

But, that supply is limited. I just did a quick scan of Gunbroker for 1853 Enfields and 1861 Springfields and you're looking at $2500+. You also can't just whip out your credit card and make a phone call and buy a good one. And, it's unlikely to look like a new gun unless you are willing to spend around $5K for fine condition ones. As the price of reproductions goes up it's probably going to put price pressure even on the "beaters" that people turn into shooters.

Likewise, percussion caps are getting harder to get. Dixie said you aren't likely to see Dynamite Nobel caps in the US for some time. I have heard rumors that they won't be sold in the US anymore.

I don't understand what is going on in the world today. People standing around saying, "shut up and take my money" and you can't buy the things you want for love or money.
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor