Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minie ball weight difference

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    NA
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Minie ball weight difference

First off, let me state that I am not at the level of shooting for any of this to matter.
    Having said that, I recently bought a digital scale. I weighed a number of minie balls. Most are in the 351-354 grain range but there are ones that weigh as little as 344 and as heavy as 360.
    Here?s my question. With a consistent powder charge, how much of a difference would the weight of the minie make?
    Thanks, Brian

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Sort them by weight and shoot the batches from the bench to see how big the groups are
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    If your lead is not 100% pure, you could see slight weight variances. Harder lead is lighter, and slightly larger as it comes from the mould.

Drop a chunk of your lead on a concrete floor. The pure lead will make a dull thud, hard lead will ring.

If you're casting minies with a manually operated base plug, makes sure the plug is seated all the way into the mould. A slight amount of in/out movement could cause your weight differences.

Not sure how much the weight difference will affect performance in an offhand match, but we all chase consistency.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    NA
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    My plan is to go to the range and try them out. However, with work and other commitments, that won?t be 3 weeks. With me, I know that it won?t make a difference but I was just wondering if anyone had noticed a difference.
    Brian

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The light ones, I would throw back. Light is a good indicator of voids inside the bullet. What are the chances the void is dead on centerline of the bullet? Slim to none. The RPM of a bullet is a lot more than one might imagine. Even with our slow rates of twist and low muzzle velocities, RPM is approaching 10,000! Something out of balance spinning that fast is going to wobble all over creation. On Minies, a good place for voids to form is at the tip of the core pin. You can sometimes see a hole up inside the bullet. I cull these just by visual inspection before bothering to weigh them.

Heavy ones can sometimes be caused by the mould not being closed completely when you are casting. Usually, a spot of lead caught between the mould halves. I don't get too many heavy ones, but I throw those back too.

I normally keep +/- .5% of median weight, which is what you appear to be doing. I have seen some guys recommend +/- .5 grains, but those guys must cast better than I do. If I did that, I would toss more than I keep.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    When lead solidifies it shrinks. Since bullets solidify from the outside inward, they often develop a void just above the base pin, which is the last place to solidify. In extreme cases, you can see the void where lead has shrunken away from the top of the base pin. This leads to inconsistent weights.

At the ranges we shoot, the main problem with these voids is that they don?t necessarily form on the bullet centerline, so light bullets tent to be out of balance bullets, which will affect accuracy.

To get consistent bullet weights the mold needs a source of liquid lead to draw from as it solidifies. The problem is that if the sprue plate and mold top aren?t hot enough the nose solidifies first, which cuts off the bullet from its supply of liquid lead. Voids and inconsistent weights are the result.

You can reduce that by keeping the sprue plate and mold top hot. I use a bottom pour pot and leave a large puddle on top of the mold at the end of each pour. This puts heat into the plate and mold top, which improves consistency. You can actually watch the puddle dimple in at the center as it feeds the cooling bullet underneath.

You will still see weight variation with this technique. But it will be a lot less.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    I have a lead tester, and my lead is pure (99.99%). I just started weighing my minnies and found the same results as you. My mold is a RCBS Hodgdon 576412, my average weight is 411-413 grains. I noticed that most of my first batch of molded bullets were as low as 405 grains. I have found that these minnies will have voids in the solid part of the mold. Once the mold itself has heated up, the vast majority will drop between 411-413 grains. during moments when I clear out the dross, add lead, and re-flux, I'll notice a few lighter bullets, until the mold re-heats.

I batch my minnies into goups by weight. +/- .5gr. so all weight ranges in the 411 grain range (411.0-411.9) will be in one batch and all in the 412 grain and so on. You'll find different folks use different methods, it's all personal preference. I'll also batch and keep any minnies that weigh in the 414 and 410 grain ranges. I use these for practice.

Also, I have noticed that I have a very few heaver bullets that will weigh upwards to 416 and 417 grains. I'm still not sure why unless some impurities have gotten into the lead. The jury is still out for that one.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello, Michael:

Voids in as-cast balls, was the issue a few of us Friendship 200 yard (Gorning in the morning) ball gun shooters could not control. So, depending on ball size, in this case .690", we made moulds that cast a 1/4 ball diameter, 1/4" high projection ON the casting. It looked like a cylindrical knob on the ball. A split block squirt die swage was made with the mould cherry. The swage fit into a large base to keep it closed during swaging. Both the blocks and base had matching, non-locking tapers to allow the blocks to be easily removed. A large Dake arbor shop press was used to push the swaging pin against the projection flush with the finished ball radius. The excess top metal squirted out the bottom. With a .690" OD, 500gr pure lead finished ball, 500 balls weighed within +/- .1gr. I doubt this is needed for skirmishing. Some commercial ball producers, such as Hornady and maybe Speer, did make swaged balls in the 1980's. They were very weight uniform and helped accuracy.

If you are interested, I can provide hand drawings of the equipment, but making it involves a lot of expensive machine shop work. Please PM me a mailing address if you wish. Thanks. Oh, the stuff we did "when out hearts were filled with fire".

Apart from contamination on block mating surfaces, variations in mould handle tension, from fatigue, etc, can create a slightly larger casting that weighs higher than normal. Some may not present a readily visible parting line ridge or fins. Try measuring OD's of normal and extra heavy ones. Smiles. Edited for typo's.
    Kevin Tinny
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 03-15-2023 at 10:54 AM.

Team:
    12th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

mini ball weight

Hi, I probably not the best one to give you advise on this but I'm going to any way!! I believe if you are just shooting at 50 and 100 yds the weight of a few grains won't make much difference. I check all my rounds to make sure there are no voids in the core by a visual look. I did weigh a bunch once and then tried them and I didn't see any difference. Maybe I was just satisfied with pretty good results but all x's. Of course pure lead is a real must! I also do not weigh every powder charge. I use a Lyman drop charger and do check about every ten or so rounds. I also use a bottom pour pot. I know a lot of folks say you can't get a good mini from that but I'm happy with my results. Maybe I'm just lazy and not very anal!! If you intend to shoot longer ranges then you would need to do all the weighing etc to get the best results. Just my 2 cents worth!!!

Fred Herlinger
    1097V
    12TH PA
    50 year member

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    The first assumption is that one can cast good bullets. If then:

First, carefully visually inspect your bullets for flaws and throw the bad ones back in the pot. If you then weigh the visually good bullets and place them in ordered rows by one grain increments, you should find that they form a bell curve on your table with the majority of them being about plus or minus 2 grains from the center line of the curve. Use the bullets from the high and low ends of the bell curve for practice or team matches. Use the bullets from the center of the bell curve for individual matches, keeping them in one grain groups. You will shoot a much tighter group on target. Shooting bullets without internal flaws, but having differing weights, will produce more of a column on the target than a round group. Shooting bullets with internal voids will definitely open up the group on target.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V