Thread: Mississippi Question ???

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Mississippi Question ???

I just obtained a Mississippi in skirmish condition that has a Benton screw adjustable rear sight. I can post a pic if necessary but it has the shorter front band and proper grooves for a Benton sight equipped rifle. My dilemma is. Are there any other rear sight options for this rifle ?? Would I have to install a bayonet lug ?? I want a peep, so maybe I should just create a peep for the Benton ??......The sight I use on my current rifle is the Springfield looking long range......

Region:
    Visitor

Re: Mississippi Question ???

Bob,
    I think Rich Cross was making extra(blank) slides when he was making Benton sights. Cant understand why you would not want to shoot that sight with a peep.
    I dont know of another accepted pattern that has the Bayonet cuts at the muzzle with or without a lug.
    R. C. Hubbard Jr.
    7th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

That is a viable solution for sure. Actually I have 3 of these sights and assorted extra parts or I could whip up a blank myself if necessary. I was just hoping to keep my sights of the same design.

Bob, if you do any longer range shooting (200 or more, like we're doing at Blue Water), the Benton would probably be the best bet anyway because of the minute elevation adjustments that can be made. In this regard the Benton is more or less unique. Something else to consider I guess.
    Chris Hubbard
    146th New York Volunteer Infantry (ACWSA)