Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK-- Just do it.

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    2977V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

OK-- Just do it.

Alright, no posts for 30 days on uniforms. A very sticky subject with a lot of N-SSA members. That the N-SSA is a Shooting Organization and not Re-enactment. I get it. But-- from a Historical perspective it is a FACT that Military Uniforms were worn by both sides during the WAR. When they did not have them they wore shoulder devices or wrapped pieces of cloth around their hats or sleeves. TRUE! I have that research. The identification and dedication of an N-SSA team to a particular Northern or Southern Regiment or Company I remember was done with a lot of pride and many had ancestors who fought in these Regiments-- FACT. I agree totally to preserving those Uniforms and Regulations first printed out from the 60's, 70's and 80's that were reviewed and accepted as the Uniform to be worn in National and Local Competitions. I was on the Uniform Committee-- I read them and made comments-- that was my job. Now as we grow older a lot of us cannot take the heavy wool or jeans cloth in hot weather. We have substituted a Straw Hat for our Hardee's hats or caps. We have gotten rid of the Brogans of CW fame and wear our most comfortable shoes-- some even went barefoot. We wear light weight pants and have gotten rid of our kersey wool trousers or gray wool or jeans cloth trousers. I know it and support it for our health and well being. No one wants to see a fellow skirmisher get sick with the heat or sun... or just stop shooting all together for that reason. The Skirmish Director can call out in hot weather to dispense with wool and go with shorts, light weight trousers, light weight shirts and straw hats!! We have done it.
    What I am proposing here--- we all have our Official Uniform Regulations or Descriptions in our By-Laws that are kept by the N-SSA as part of your application for membership. I propose that a second new set of Regulations are submitted for our members with health and age issues. That a new summer weight uniform be submitted or that in inclement weather your team or team member can shoot in clothing that is comfortable and necessary for the individuals safety. I am NOT saying we do away with uniforms-- NEVER!-- I am saying that a team can get into trouble-- if they show up on the line wearing a uniform totally different from what the stood inspection in in the past. That has not happened yet!!! But it can!! and would be totally sanctioned under our By-Laws. What say you?
    Last edited by Tom Arliskas; 12-20-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    We already have ?exceptions? for inclement weather and the skirmish director at any skirmish has the authority to declare it in effect usually for a lot of rain or really cold weather. I was at one skirmish where it was declared for the extreme heat and some folks shot in shorts and t-shirts. This was many many moons ago. Confederate units have way more play then Union units when it comes to uniform pieces.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Considering that we can all shoot in shirt sleeves and so many "Texaco Rangers" are already wearing Dickie trousers with a sown-on stripe, I see no need to change the rules.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Visitor
    ​I remember one team shooting in togas. You can't get more original than that.

Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    We already have ?exceptions? for inclement weather and the skirmish director at any skirmish has the authority to declare it in effect usually for a lot of rain or really cold weather. I was at one skirmish where it was declared for the extreme heat and some folks shot in shorts and t-shirts. This was many many moons ago. Confederate units have way more play then Union units when it comes to uniform pieces.
    We do have exceptions-- For inclement weather or ground conditions--water and mud--- I know-- but to have it in writing?

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    Considering that we can all shoot in shirt sleeves and so many "Texaco Rangers" are already wearing Dickie trousers with a sown-on stripe, I see no need to change the rules.
    Not changing the Rules-- Adding to the Rules-- we had a skirmisher who did not want to wear shoes at all-- maybe some day someone will not want to wear a hat... slim but maybe-- wear a hankee or ball cap instead. If we have it in the Rules what and what not one cap wear than you will be blind sided by someone showing up in TOGAS! as below. Yes some Northern units wear frocks and kersey wool pants--- when you get in your 70's that is a hot uniform and technically, by the Rules, they are out of uniform. If we continue to ignore our Official Uniform Rules, not being enforced at all--- We can see a reduction of uniforms being worn-- blue jeans and gym shoes substituted.

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Arliskas View Post
    We do have exceptions-- For inclement weather or ground conditions--water and mud--- I know-- but to have it in writing?
    You know Tom, sometimes its better not to have things in writing. In my experience, it tends to remove any leeway that was built into the rules. There's no one that's going to "write up" an aging Yankee Skirmisher from wearing Sky Blue cotton trousers instead of wool because he/she can't handle the heat.
    Unless, of course, something changes and someone starts 'tweeking' the rules. Just something to consider.
    Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by CAGerringer View Post
    You know Tom, sometimes its better not to have things in writing. In my experience, it tends to remove any leeway that was built into the rules. There's no one that's going to "write up" an aging Yankee Skirmisher from wearing Sky Blue cotton trousers instead of wool because he/she can't handle the heat.
    Unless, of course, something changes and someone starts 'tweeking' the rules. Just something to consider.
    Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Tweeking the Rules-- Now that happens all the time-- for a number of reasons-- some forgot their kit-- some did not know-- some just said the Hell with it-- and some do not care. That is human nature. The whole matter is simple in terms of writing new Regulations due to heat or inclement weather... Just give the names of team members who require special needs-- They can have a new card or something to show that they have some kind of condition or health issue. Yes, of course a Skirmish Director does have the authority to call on weather conditions and uniforms... but what to wear and when... It is not rocket science-- but it is necessary today.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

worst thing possible, a newbie with an opinion

Just joined in August. Heck, didn't know that the N-SSA existed until I went by Back Creek to pick up some powder on my post retirement 'walk about' in the first part of August. Now a blue card member of the 14th Mississippi.

From past experiences in life, having to have a multiplicity of rules shows that the problem isn't with the rules but the way applied to the ruled. Given that I've participated at Nationals and one other match, here is what I got. Got the 2 blue checked shirts, wool pants, suspenders, sack coat, kepi(got the slouch hat with the '14' numbers in the proverbial mail), and Zouave + PH musketoon + 1858 revolver. Point being is that a decent uniform isn't an insurmountable obstacle.

The issue is with the Skirmishers. Am an RN and have worked Baylor ER among other places. Can tell you that heat is a nasty thing to deal with for such a susceptible population as the typical N-SSA skirmisher. It is my opinion that the current flexibility built into the rules and concern from comradery among us is a 'good thing'; and no one is going to tolerate such strict rules that put fellow skirmishers at risk. I've hung up my stethoscope and have zero desire to run yet another code to keep someone alive. But we're a fairly conservative group and won't allow florescent Hawaiian print shirts on the line unless someone shows up with documentation that such was period correct. We're grown adults and know the difference between right and wrong. All want the N-SSA to grow and stay true to its roots.

My conclusion is to leave the rules alone and let leadership at matches make the on-the-spot call to keep skirmishers safe plus coloring inside the lines on proper attire.

Team:
    46th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Co. A
    Region:

rules

A game without rules, is not a game, it is a "free for all".

My thoughts,

Kevin
    Last edited by K. Herrick; 12-28-2022 at 11:51 AM.