Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK-- Just do it.

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Arliskas View Post
    Tweeking the Rules-- Now that happens all the time-- for a number of reasons-- some forgot their kit-- some did not know-- some just said the Hell with it-- and some do not care. That is human nature. The whole matter is simple in terms of writing new Regulations due to heat or inclement weather... Just give the names of team members who require special needs-- They can have a new card or something to show that they have some kind of condition or health issue. Yes, of course a Skirmish Director does have the authority to call on weather conditions and uniforms... but what to wear and when... It is not rocket science-- but it is necessary today.

Do you know what this reminds me of? When I was a Junior Officer Naval Aviator, an Air force Officer explained to me the difference between the Air Force rules and Navy rules. He said that anything that is not approved for the Air Force, is prohibited. Where as anything that is not prohibited for the Navy, is approved. That difference is what gives the Navy the permission to perform a multitude of missions that the Air Force was not able to do.
    The same concept applies to the N-SSA. Why do we need rules to explain what we can do, when the rules that we have already allow us the leeway to deal with individuals who need special consideration? Why insist that we collect names of people that find out short notice that they can't deal with heat/cold/wet/dry/whatever. Why cant we depend on our elected leaders to deal with these individual problems with the ability to know the problems personably and individually. Is this not a better way to deal with our members as individuals, with their individual problems?
    Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    2977V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Ganz View Post
    Just joined in August. Heck, didn't know that the N-SSA existed until I went by Back Creek to pick up some powder on my post retirement 'walk about' in the first part of August. Now a blue card member of the 14th Mississippi.

From past experiences in life, having to have a multiplicity of rules shows that the problem isn't with the rules but the way applied to the ruled. Given that I've participated at Nationals and one other match, here is what I got. Got the 2 blue checked shirts, wool pants, suspenders, sack coat, kepi(got the slouch hat with the '14' numbers in the proverbial mail), and Zouave + PH musketoon + 1858 revolver. Point being is that a decent uniform isn't an insurmountable obstacle.

The issue is with the Skirmishers. Am an RN and have worked Baylor ER among other places. Can tell you that heat is a nasty thing to deal with for such a susceptible population as the typical N-SSA skirmisher. It is my opinion that the current flexibility built into the rules and concern from comradery among us is a 'good thing'; and no one is going to tolerate such strict rules that put fellow skirmishers at risk. I've hung up my stethoscope and have zero desire to run yet another code to keep someone alive. But we're a fairly conservative group and won't allow florescent Hawaiian print shirts on the line unless someone shows up with documentation that such was period correct. We're grown adults and know the difference between right and wrong. All want the N-SSA to grow and stay true to its roots.

My conclusion is to leave the rules alone and let leadership at matches make the on-the-spot call to keep skirmishers safe plus coloring inside the lines on proper attire.
    I agree with your conclusions about a GOOD THING-- That is the concern-- but to make up Rules on the spot is fine if you have a good Skirmish Director and someone with the ability to come to some conclusion that is acceptable to the Organization and the Skirmishers... You might have someone who says "Fine you do not have to wear any CW stuff at all because its hot or raining or whatever"? That has happened... We can do both-- Have some good guidelines-- and good Rules also...

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by CAGerringer View Post
    Do you know what this reminds me of? When I was a Junior Officer Naval Aviator, an Air force Officer explained to me the difference between the Air Force rules and Navy rules. He said that anything that is not approved for the Air Force, is prohibited. Where as anything that is not prohibited for the Navy, is approved. That difference is what gives the Navy the permission to perform a multitude of missions that the Air Force was not able to do.
    The same concept applies to the N-SSA. Why do we need rules to explain what we can do, when the rules that we have already allow us the leeway to deal with individuals who need special consideration? Why insist that we collect names of people that find out short notice that they can't deal with heat/cold/wet/dry/whatever. Why cant we depend on our elected leaders to deal with these individual problems with the ability to know the problems personably and individually. Is this not a better way to deal with our members as individuals, with their individual problems?
    Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Hey-- You are correct--- I am not being obtuse here--- yes, you are correct--- BUT! We have had a number of older members drop out because they cannot take the heat or the 100 yard walk to the frames--- TRUTH-- and no one knows what happened to so-and-so until one day they show up and they tell us-- "Boys, cannot take the Heat anymore period or wear those heavy wool uniforms so I quit-" Or "My feet, cannot walk far"-- I am also smart enough to see that some just cannot skirmish anymore and that is a crying shame and really sad-- But-- we must come up with solutions to enable those who still can with a little help continue to shoot.-- It is not Rocket science to talk to someone and tell them if you cannot take any heat-- "What do you need from us?"

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

My two cents.

I switched teams from a Union Infantry unit to a Union Marine unit. I just dropped $205 dollars on a new frock coat with a new Kepi to be ordered and paid for later. I have been a member in the NSSA for 43 continuous years. My issue is the shoes, and the range at 100 yards. For me brogans are too slippery and the "swamp" at 100 yards at Fort Shenandoah are difficult most times of the year. I just wear brown rubber boots rain or shine when skirmishing at the Fort in Winchester. After one or two skirmishes, the new team gives it members a choice to either time and safety or hang targets. I am more than happy to time and safety and let the younger members walk and deal with the swamp at 100 yards. That is where I am at in my journey in the NSSA.

Harry in Pa.
    Forney's
    03626v

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Watertight boots are a must. I would never even consider bashing a fellow Skirmisher for wearing them. There were times I wore sandals. Not for the heat, for the drainage.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    [QUOTE=Harry Gaul;94177]I switched teams from a Union Infantry unit to a Union Marine unit. I just dropped $205 dollars on a new frock coat with a new Kepi to be ordered and paid for later. I have been a member in the NSSA for 43 continuous years. My issue is the shoes, and the range at 100 yards. For me brogans are too slippery and the "swamp" at 100 yards at Fort Shenandoah are difficult most times of the year. I just wear brown rubber boots rain or shine when skirmishing at the Fort in Winchester. After one or two skirmishes, the new team gives it members a choice to either time and safety or hang targets. I am more than happy to time and safety and let the younger members walk and deal with the swamp at 100 yards. That is where I am at in my journey in the NSSA.

Harry in Pa.
    Forney's
    03626v[/QUOTE

Good Story here-- You support my findings--- Yes, Brogans can be slippery! At my age to fall down really hurts. I have done it!!!!!!! Safety first!!! What I see with you and others is not so much a concern, I see people who know they are supposed to wear a certain kind of uniform or clothing and do not for a good reason in their mind. I would never scold or bring your issue with boots to a Skirmish Director as "out of uniform!" I have heard that said-- FOR REAL-- at some Skirmishes. That the non-wearing of heavy uniforms vs a team with light clothing has an advantage. Maybe??? Maybe not??? But, in some folks minds that thought could pop up-- Not saying here we need a whole new set of Uniform Rules-- just that after 75 years of Skirmishing a Review, A Review, might be a good idea considering the age of the average member...

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Ganz View Post
    Just joined in August. Heck, didn't know that the N-SSA existed until I went by Back Creek to pick up some powder on my post retirement 'walk about' in the first part of August. Now a blue card member of the 14th Mississippi.

From past experiences in life, having to have a multiplicity of rules shows that the problem isn't with the rules but the way applied to the ruled. Given that I've participated at Nationals and one other match, here is what I got. Got the 2 blue checked shirts, wool pants, suspenders, sack coat, kepi(got the slouch hat with the '14' numbers in the proverbial mail), and Zouave + PH musketoon + 1858 revolver. Point being is that a decent uniform isn't an insurmountable obstacle.

The issue is with the Skirmishers. Am an RN and have worked Baylor ER among other places. Can tell you that heat is a nasty thing to deal with for such a susceptible population as the typical N-SSA skirmisher. It is my opinion that the current flexibility built into the rules and concern from comradery among us is a 'good thing'; and no one is going to tolerate such strict rules that put fellow skirmishers at risk. I've hung up my stethoscope and have zero desire to run yet another code to keep someone alive. But we're a fairly conservative group and won't allow florescent Hawaiian print shirts on the line unless someone shows up with documentation that such was period correct. We're grown adults and know the difference between right and wrong. All want the N-SSA to grow and stay true to its roots.

My conclusion is to leave the rules alone and let leadership at matches make the on-the-spot call to keep skirmishers safe plus coloring inside the lines on proper attire.
    Thank You-- Read this at least 4 times! Everything you state I agree with and can see you understand the issue. Yes, today we see at Skirmishes in the heat uniforms are gone-- or something else substituted and for good reason, our health and safety. We know that but does the general public? They come to see us do CW shooting and then we show up in straw hats and jeans and T-shirts. We know why we do, but do they? I am not arguing for change-- just clarification. What is and what is not your teams official uniform. We knew in the Uniform Committee we have the original membership sheets. Something should be done or we will end up in TOGAS and swim suits on the line...

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Tom, I think we have enough rules and enough latitude to handle the weather. Here's where I think you have gotten to...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Lol!!!

Gil,

Browsing the BB with my morning coffee, I almost choked on it. Not because my blushing bride brewed it, but due to the hilarious cartoon caption you shared to this thread!

Laughed so hard my eyes watered. THANK YOU brother, I needed that.

Gil?s comment is the equivalent of dropping the mic and walking off stage...
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I must admit, I do not like wearing uniforms. I do it because I have to, certainly not because I enjoy playing dress up. I am in the N-SSA for the guns. That is where my interest lies. I enjoy collecting and shooting Civil War era firearms, primarily the carbines. To me, the uniform is a necessary evil, and I must admit, I look forward to shooting in the hotter months where the uniform gets waived due to the temperature. It's not the wool that I dislike. It's just that the style of clothes is uncomfortable to me. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy. Anything else is uncomfortable to me.

Now, I'm sure that has probably offended some. That was not my intention. It is just that everyone is different, and have different interests. I have no beef with those who like to wear their uniforms. we have several who wear them anyway, even when waived due to temperature. I don't think less of them. They are enjoying what they enjoy about the N-SSA. Nothing wrong with that.