Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 200 Yards for a Smoothbore Musket-- Where did that popular number come from?

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    2977V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Burgess_2078V View Post
    Hi Tom,

I can't answer your question as to the original source of the quoted 200-yard range for smoothbores. As most of us who shoot them can attest, hitting a man-sized target at such range with an unsighted smoothbore, even with the fine-tuned target loads we shoot in the N-SSA, would be a challenge. To get this debate rolling let me speculate that such references might actually be talking about extreme range and not effective range. The service charge for the .69 caliber smoothbore musket was 110 grains of powder with a .65 caliber musket ball wadded with the cartridge paper. Muzzle velocity was in excess of 1000 fps and, at optimum elevation of the muzzle, the musket balls could fly 200 yards. It is also important to note that smoothbores, to be effective, had to be fired in mass, in line formations against massive targets- enemy line formations. The volume of fire would compensate for the inherent inaccuracy of individual smoothbore weapons. This distinction may have been lost to subsequent authors perpetuating the 200-yard statistic, especially if they did not have any direct experience shooting smoothbores.

Jim Burgess
    15th CVI
    Hello Jim--- Thank you for your input. Yes-- there were two considerations or three if you go deeper. 1. testing for Range.-- They would line up and fire at 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, sometimes 400 just to see "IF" the musket or Rifle would shoot that far. They would do elevation, sight procedures, and test the impact strength into pine boards. 2. OK, now that you know that the gun can shoot that far-- lets try aiming and see how many hits we can get. So they would experiment with types of bullets, powder charges, sight training, and then come with measurements, suggestions on aiming and where-- and try to put as many balls as possible into a target. 3. Then they would come up with tactics and maneuver. The types of guns and effective fire differences would be given in training. They would state, "Hey, you have a smoothbore-- so your best bet is to wait until your target is in effective range 50 to 75 yards for the most destructive volley fire." The Officers in battle--- could try and have their men fire a smoothbore at 150 or even 200 yards but would soon realize we are missing a lot here guys, so cease firing and let them get closer." To simply state "smoothbore can shoot or are good up to 200 years" is true sometimes-- somebody will hit a target at 200-- but in a battle if you have 500 men fire a volley at 200 yards and you see six guys fall down and one gets back up-- that is a wake up moment.-- I believe I have the stats and the comments to make my point--

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    I'm not sure practice will be of much use at 200 yards with a smoothbore. I don't think the gun would shoot consistently enough for the shooter to make much difference. In other words, you could mount the gun in a fixed fixture and you probably won't hit the target much.

Making historical cartridges for the US .69 caliber musket is pretty easily done. If you have access to a 200 yard range, it would be a pretty simple experiment to conduct.

Steve
    True what you said-- They did do tests and impact studies-- and you agree with the initial statement-- not good at 200 yards!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Smooth bores with rear sights?

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Fullers The Rifled Musket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Arliskas View Post
    Sorry cannot locate that particular ordnance file--- can you recheck it or send me a link? Thanks Tom.
    Tom, Here's a link to the book on Amazon. This book has the report and target images of all the firearms tested. Also a lot on the muskets both govt made and contract versions.

I pulled the ordnance file info from the book. The image of the cover page of the report is marked, Records of the War Department, Office of the Chief of Ordnance, Special File, Box 26. It came from the National Archives. In the book there are around 90 pages of the report, and it seems to be the entire report. There are several types of infantry arms tested, commented on, and targeted along with several breech loading carbines. The report is dated Feb 1, 1860.

The rifled musket: Fuller, Claud E: 9780517031100: Amazon.com: Books
    Last edited by Jim Brady Knap's Battery; 02-02-2023 at 08:58 PM.
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    You can also get it used from Abe Books.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...sket&an=Fuller

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady Knap's Battery View Post
    Tom, Here's a link to the book on Amazon. This book has the report and target images of all the firearms tested. Also a lot on the muskets both govt made and contract versions.

I pulled the ordnance file info from the book. The image of the cover page of the report is marked, Records of the War Department, Office of the Chief of Ordnance, Special File, Box 26. It came from the National Archives. In the book there are around 90 pages of the report, and it seems to be the entire report. There are several types of infantry arms tested, commented on, and targeted along with several breech loading carbines. The report is dated Feb 1, 1860.

The rifled musket: Fuller, Claud E: 9780517031100: Amazon.com: Books
    Awesome and Thank You again. Tom

Team:
    2977V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbler View Post
    Smooth bores with rear sights?
    Interesting on sited smoothbores like the Potsdam. When you watch our fellow team members shoot those Potsdams-- They do not do any better with those than a guy with a Macon. Seems, like everything else in shooting, first you have to have a good gun, a shooter, than you know if held right, the proper loads and point of aim will hit the target. I watched a fella with a Macon take a National First Place Smoothbore Musket.

I Battle, if you survived, over time you did get to understand hopefully-- where the gun you were issued-- where it shot and its capabilities. Doing Shiloh, the soldiers learned quickly to stand in the open was not the way to fight a War. They took cover in the trees, ravines, and behind walls when they could. Tom