Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditions 1842 Springfield Musket Kit, .69 Cal Smoothbore - legit?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Traditions 1842 Springfield Musket Kit, .69 Cal Smoothbore - legit?

Just getting started in N-SSA. In fact, didn't know N-SSA existed until I went by Back Creek in August of this year. Got a Zouave that Richard Hill in my 14th Mississippi was gracious enough to get squared away for rifled musket. Now have a PH Enfield musketoon deal ready to complete. Already had a Pietta 1858 revolver. Uniform is complete except getting the brass "14" and red cord for my hat. The only thing left to get is a smoothbore.

In order to keep costs down, am interested in the Traditions 1842 smooth bore musket that goes for about $850 and is described in every advertisement as "Approved by the North-South Skirmish Association (N-SSA)." But the 2022 01/01/2022 edition of approved production arms does not have this listed. This leads me to a couple of questions:

1) is this approved but on a different list since it is a kit & not a production arm. ?Then, is there a list of kit firearms that I need to seek out?
    2) If it is on the "Kit approved" list, what finish on metal & wood is required?

Thanks in advance for your time & effort in answering this.

Best regards,

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    The 1842 musket was finished in the white or "burnished" per the regulations of the day. The stocks were walnut, finished in boiled linseed oil. Tru-Oil would be my choice these days.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Being as it is as kit and not a finished product I think it would need individual approval from the Small Arms Committee. Check it out before spending any $$$

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    With a little patience you may find an original '42 advertised on this site for close to the same money, maybe less.
    Paul D. Stoneburner 08037-V
    Mosby's Rangers 029 TW
    N-SSA Sutler Officer

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I'll reiterate what others have said, and add a bit of my own:

As it's a kit build, you need to get it approved by the SAC (Small arms committee) in order to use it in competition. As long as you build it to the spec sheet, it should pass. But this is not a course of action undertaken by most people.

Especially with 1842 smoothbores, you will probably be better off waiting to find one on the bulletin boards, or wait until nationals. You don't NEED to compete in smoothbore competition. My first season was just musket, second was musket and carbine, by the end of the season I had competed in two smoothbore matches, and I just added a pistol to the lineup. So in my third season next year, I will be shooting what you will right off the bat. I'd wait a few shoots to get your bearings, personally. It took me a few shoots to get in the swing of things. This being said:

My smoothbore came with a Whitacre barrel, who is probably the best manufacturer of new musket barrels, and a mix of original and pedersoli parts, and I got it for sub 700$. There are usually a few smoothbores sub 850 at nationals, and they come up here on the bulletin boards now and then. I'd personally wait, I've heard mixed reviews of the kits, especially for the cost. However, traditions is a reputable brand.

In closing, I'd wait, shoot what you have already and try to find an original that needs a little love for the same price or less here or at nationals. You can always get the barrel relined by Hoyt if it's a little rough.
    John Westenberger
    Co. B. 1st PA Cav.

Region:
    I have 2 Armisport 1842s (one dressed up to look like an H&P now). They shoot fantastically. My teammates with Armisport 42s likewise have great success with them. (RCBS .678 round ball roughed up, double-dipped in Lee Alox, 70 grains 3F Goex).

This is one gun where I am completely satisfied with the stock barrels, for sure.

However, the pickings are getting slim for reproduction muskets of all kinds. I've heard rumors that Armisport is going to discontinue the M1842. I can't get them to return a phone call or email. They are out of stock just about everywhere. If you can find one less than $1K, it's probably a deal to jump on it. N-SSA members tend to be generous on their resales, I find, but it's not going to take the used market long to figure out the old supply and demand thing.

Pedersoli 1861s and Lorenzes are now $1600+ the last time Regimental Quartermaster advertised some had come in. The days of $1000 reproduction muskets is probably over.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Last edited by B-Davis; 12-07-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    YES!! Much better options than a Traditions Kit!

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by 59thOVI View Post
    YES!! Much better options than a Traditions Kit!
    Sad, but it seems that the Loyalist Arms Indian muskets are better made a Traditions kit.
    Really makes me wonder if their factory assembled pieces are any better.

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Duel at the Fort

Gentlemen and Ladies. A gauntlet has been thrown down, and satisfaction is hereby demanded at Spring Nationals 2023! A certain "Mr. Twinkie" of the Iredell Blues has challenged Big Steve of the 4th LA to a one on one smoothbore match, ten shots at 50 yards. Big Steve armed with his "fantastical" 42 ArmiSport against Mr. Twinkies 1816 stock Wurfflein. Winner to walk away with the losers $20 bill. If Mr. Steve accepts the challenge, the feat could be accomplished on the practice range using practice targets. (As Mr. Twinkies "second", I will collect 20% of all side bets). Y'all have a Merry Christmas
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues, NRA "Lifer", Member SCV George Davis Camp 5.