Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recutting the cone in a revolver barrel

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Recutting the cone in a revolver barrel

A question for you Pistoleros...
    To cut a "Target" cone in a standard Uberti 1858 Remington revolver barrel, what degree of cut do you need? What is the standard cut and what should the angle be increased to?
    Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Cone

11 degrees from most sources.

Team:
    Chesapeake Artillery, 4th Maryland Artillery
    13905 228-PT
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Does the barrel need to be removed to do this?

Team:
    1st Maryland Cavalry, CSA
    Region:

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    It's absurdly easy to do. I used the Brownell's kit to do the job on a Spiller and Burr. Sadly, I think it shot worse after I did it than before. But, it didn't shoot good to start with.

Hardest part is measuring your progress (the maximum cone diameter) while cutting.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Recutting the cone in a revolver barrel

One of the things that ALL of the videos on U tube and others is that they don't tell you you can go too deep or not deep enough re-cutting the cone in a revolver barrel.
    I was taught to place one of the balls that you are using put it in the end you re-cutting - see how much above 1/2 way it is. You want to re-cut where 50% is what you see (1/2 of the ball is in the chamber & 1/2 is sticking above the chamber). If you cut too deep you will have blow-by and potential problems. What you are doing by re-cutting the cone is centering the ball in the rifling. Another problem is some reproduction revolvers don't have the bore of the barrel aligned with the chambers. That is why unless you know what you are doing leave it for the professionals.
    I did a Starr repro revolver for my son. Starr revolvers are an adventure to time an re-cut the forcing cone. I will never do another one!!!

Joe Plakis jr.
    Hampton Legion
    00302V

Region:
    Visitor
    The maine problem with repro revolvers is not the forcing cone. The main problem is the cylinder. The cylinders are usely reamed several thousand under barrle diamter. Therefor when you seat the ball in the clynder your squeezing it down smaller the the barrel diameter. That is why Tom Ball reamed all the cylinders on the pistols he built to 547 diameter. Putting a new forsing does help but that is not the main issue.

Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Old Reb View Post
    The maine problem with repro revolvers is not the forcing cone. The main problem is the cylinder. The cylinders are usely reamed several thousand under barrle diamter. Therefor when you seat the ball in the clynder your squeezing it down smaller the the barrel diameter. That is why Tom Ball reamed all the cylinders on the pistols he built to 547 diameter. Putting a new forsing does help but that is not the main issue.

Isn't .547 a little large for a .44 revolver?
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    1st Maryland Cavalry, CSA
    Region:
    The maine problem with repro revolvers ... is the cylinder. The cylinders are usely reamed several thousand under barrle diamter. .
    This isn't a problem of only the reproduction revolvers. Most commercial/production revolvers can have issues. The second referenced Youtube video even points out the Ruger he was working on (57 seconds in) could have a cylinder throat issue because they are turning out cylinders fast (production line) and the reamer can get worn and various other machining processes may affect the diameter of the finished cylinder chamber during the production line processes. Unless you purchase a custom made revolver or have a smith 'accurize' your revolver most if not all commercial revolvers will have variations (tolerances) that are acceptable. Some shooters, when trying to extract the maximum accuracy out of a revolver (like when testing reloads for accuracy) will mark one chamber and fire all the rounds out of that cylinder chamber. This ensures there are minimal variations (size of chamber, alignment of the cylinder to the bore of the barrel, cylinder gap is identical, etc.) which, hopefully, render the least number of variables and improve consistency and thus promote the best accuracy.

...That is why Tom Ball reamed all the cylinders on the pistols he built to 547 diameter.
    I think you inverted two numbers, though even .457 might be a bit large for a true .44 cal revolver. Although my Ruger Old Army uses 0.457 diameter balls and while I think Ruger may have marketed them as '.44' they always said to use a 0.457" diameter ball ( 0.454" if conical bullet). I am not sure what the Uberti Remington revolver, in fact, uses.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do CAGarringer!
    Last edited by Ron Showacre; 12-07-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Team:
    3rd US Regular Infantry
    7003V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    There is a gentleman online that "rents" forcing cone cutting tools. His name is reamer guy on you tube. Buying a reamer kit can get expensive. Renting one seems like a decent deal. I had mine cut by Tom Ball years ago. It helped my 1858 Remington, I had to have my cylinders trued in my one Rogers and Spencer. It shot better for Tom than it ever did for me though. But cylinder/bore alignment is the key. Without good line up it is a crap shoot.