Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enfield Cartridges?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    I've never used the Enfield cartridge, but from the video, it looks like you could just grip the bullet end of the cartridge and insert it into the muzzle just like you would a naked bullet. I'm not sure placing your finger over the end of cartridge to push it in, as shown in the video, is necessary. Maybe someone who has done it could shed some light on that. Steve?
    It is possible that you could hold the bullet end of the cartridge with two fingers to set it into the muzzle. But you will still have the powder chamber sticking 3" up from the bullet. That has to be snapped off once the bullet is shoulder-deep in the muzzle. This means your hand has to be over the muzzle, if just for an instant.

One way around the whole cartridge problem is to simply allow/make paper-patched bullets. So there is no paper power chamber going along for the ride. You'd stick your paper-patched bullets into a plastic tube like we currently do, and then load the bullet like we do unpatched bullets today.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    I'm not sure the old fart (like ME) skirmishers want to chase those little caps around the range after an event. Is the powder chamber separate from the bullet end? Can you insert the base of the Minie (bullet) into the muzzle and then squeeze it out of the tube?
    They are separate and the PLA is pretty rigid so no squeezing. I have thought about seeing if I could incorporate a tether to keep the cap connected to the tube but I haven't done so yet. I'm pretty new to CAD. I'd either need to incorporate like a lanyard loop on both pieces then tie them together, or flip how I print it and change the geometry of the bottom of the powder tube or else gravity will distort it unless I incorporated supports id have to break off post printing. So possible but would need experimentation.