Thread: Ballard Carbine

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Ballard Carbine

What Ballard is legal for competition? The last small arms list I saw had only the repo model by Larry Romano as approved. Thank you
    Jim Willauer
    CV-011 Cockade Rifles

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

What Ballard is legal?

Almost any original military configured Ballard .... 44 / 46 / 56-56 rifle or carbine.
    Larry was the only production builder from scratch.
    Hundreds are individually approved by the SAC as centerfire using 44special / magnum / 45 colt 44-40 etc cases
    Last edited by Bruce Cobb 1723V; 05-28-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Region:

Ballard

Thank you! I guess I need to find a book on them so I dont end up with something that wont "Card".
    Jim Willauer
    CV-011 Cockade Rifles

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle, by Dutcher, is the best, but it's out of print and very pricey these days. McAulay's books on CW rifles and carbines cover the early Ballards as well. Talk to John Holland on the Small Arms committee about what to look for. If you get one that's been rechambered to a modern cartridge, like 45 Colt or 44 Special, NEVER!!!!! fire factory ammo or smokeless reloads in a Ballard. The frames are wrought iron and will come apart with high pressure ammo. Black powder ONLY!

Region:

Book

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Reb View Post
    Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle, by Dutcher, is the best, but it's out of print and very pricey these days. McAulay's books on CW rifles and carbines cover the early Ballards as well. Talk to John Holland on the Small Arms committee about what to look for. If you get one that's been rechambered to a modern cartridge, like 45 Colt or 44 Special, NEVER!!!!! fire factory ammo or smokeless reloads in a Ballard. The frames are wrought iron and will come apart with high pressure ammo. Black powder ONLY!
    Thank you! Just saw a copy on Amazon for $469.00 - I'll keep my eyes open for a better deal!
    Last edited by JimW; 05-29-2022 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Add info
    Jim Willauer
    CV-011 Cockade Rifles

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello:

Carolina Reb's suggestion about counseling, FIRST, with SAC, is wise.
    I have been down this road and crashed.

Also, the Dutcher book is mostly about POST CW guns. An alternative would be to look at one to avoid buying an expensive book that may not help you.

John Holland and his Committee can prevent errors that might cause SAC approval issues. Smiles.
    Kevin Tinny

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Ballard Carbine

Over the years, I have brought back to life about 2 dozen Ballard military rifles and carbines. The very first thing that you must check before purchasing the rifle or carbine is to check the receiver. The weak spot on the Ballards is the two 90 degree corners in the top, rear of the receiver. Nearly invisible, hairline cracks are a possibility. Some cracks are very visible. Run your fingernail over the area, check with a magnifying glass. Repairs are not easy, perhaps impossible. Just be aware!

My favorite is the Half-stock Ballard carbine in .44 caliber. Bob Hoyt has made 3 barrels for me. Basically, the new 30" barrel and a new forearm makes you a half-stock carbine. There is some preference for the 44-40 or 44WCF. It seals off the gas better than the straight 44 magnum. The choice is yours.

If you do have a Ballard with a cracked receiver, Al Bumford makes a receiver out of modern steel, that will never crack. I am not a metallurgist and do not know the differences in "steels" but this is what I have been told by many skirmishers who do know. These modern receivers would have to be fitted up and drilled by a competent gunsmith.

Dutcher's book is THE BIBLE. $495.00 is a sick price. The books do surface for a lot less. I found one for a lot less, it just takes a lot of looking online and at shows.

Good luck! Ask a lot of questions.

Jack Conway
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Google 1st ... it can be your friend or foe.... Ask questions before buying to those here who have answered you so far . ASK QUESTIONS before you buy.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Region:

Looking before leaping

I know to ask around first - stuck myself with one of those NJ H&Ps that cant be modified. If it wont "card", its useless.
    Jim Willauer
    CV-011 Cockade Rifles