Thread: Is this a list of Enfield S/N's issued to individuals?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Is this a list of Enfield S/N's issued to individuals?

Recent Archives find: Please see full details on CMH Forum, here:

http://gs19.inmotionhosting.com/~milita ... /read/8836

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Re: Is this a list of Enfield S/N's issued to individuals?

Didn't think they HAD serial numbers.
    14th Miss Inf Rgt, CSA/N-SSA, NRA Life Mbr, no longer shooting

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Thanks, shows how little I know about them. Maybe the numbers in the book are rack numbers put on some of them post-manufacture? I notice also a number of the entries include "WD" which if I recall correctly was put on British Army-issue items to indicate "War Department" after a certain date, but I can't recall the date.

This ledger book was compiled in 1862 if that helps any.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

It would seem likely these numbers may refer to another inventory of letters rather than quantities of rifles or other such numbers. But I must say that of the names appearing in this right-hand column, other than the name Colt, I do not recognize the other names as coinciding with the known importers of Enfields in the North or makers in England, but again, this does not mean that these names did not have some other relation, perhaps if only to the Ordnance or U.S. War Department? My best advice would be to ask one of the archivists working with this particular group of ledgers and see if they may know what these numbers represent? Anything else is just idle speculation.

These names could possibly even correspond to officers serving in 1862, such as the following:
    Bright, Aaron, Jr. Maj, 88 PA Inf
    Coleman, Augustus H, Lt Col, 11 Ohio Inf
    Coleman, David C., Lt Col, 8 Missouri Inf
    Coleman, James H., Maj, 102 PA Inf
    Coleman, Jesse O., Lt Col, Johnson County Indiana Militia
    Coleman, John P., Lt Col 6 US Colored Artillery
    Coleman, John S., Lt Col, 74 Missouri Inf
    Coleman, Josiah, Lt Col, 36 Missouri Inf
    Coleman, Norman J., Lt Col, 85 Missouri Inf
    Coleman, David C. b. PA, d. MO. 1LT adjt 8 MO Inf 4 July 61; LT Col 8 Aug 62; hon must out 12 July 64; BGen enrolled MO State Militia 29 Sept 64 to 12 March 65.
    Coleman, Frederick William. b. NY, d. NY. Capt 151 NY Inf 22 Oct 62; hon dischd 17 Oct 64; 2LT and 1LT 15 Inf 23 Feb 66; r adjt 31 Aug 66 to 22 Oct 67; Capt 22 Oct 67; bvt Capt 2 March 67 for gal and mer ser in battle of Spottsylvania Va and Maj 2 March 67 for gal and mer ser in the battle of Cold Harbor Va; resd 31 March 74.
    Colt, Henry V., Maj, 104 NY Inf
    Colt, Thomas A., Lt Col, 26 NJ Inf
    Colt, William O., Lt Col, 83 PA Inf
    Colt, Thomas G. b. Mass, d. Mass. 1LT 37 Mass Inf 5 Aug 62; Capt 23 Sept 64; Capt a a g vols 12 Dec 64; bvt Maj vols 6 April 65 for gal and mer ser before Petersburg and at the battle of Little Sailor’s Creek VA; hon must out 28 June 65.
    Dailey (or Delille), Edward Dymock, b. NJ, d. Del. Surg vols 4 April 62; hon dischd 15 Oct 63; died 6 Oct 65.
    Dalton, Edward Barry. b. Mass., d. NY. Surg 1 NY Engs 31 Oct 61; resd 8 April 63; ass. surg vols 11 March 63; surg vols 26 March 63; bvt lt col and col vols 15 Aug 65 for fai and mer ser; resd 12 May 65; died 13 May 72.
    Dalton, Henry Rogers. b. Mass, d. Mass. 2LT 1 Mass Art 10 Feb 62; Capt a a g vol 28 May 62; Maj a a g vols 30 June 64; resd 25 Nov 64.
    Dalton, John Call, Jr. b. Mass, d. NY. Surg vols 3 Aug 61; resd 5 March 64; died 12 Feb 89.
    DeLano, Horace F., b. Conn, d. NY. Cadet M A 1 July 45; bvt 2LT 1 Drgs 1 July 49; 2LT 2 Drgs 13 Jan 50; died 24 May 54
    Note four by the name “De Lany” circa 1861-65 who could have been misspelled for “De Lano” such as “Delany, Martin R., Maj, 104 US Colored Inf”
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66