Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakiman View Post
    Prospective member who can't seem to get much, if any, information on what unit I could join, how to practice, what uniform for someone living in central Ohio. Yes, I'd like to shoot the musket and I don't have a copy of Skirmish Line to look up an email address.
    Well I'll deviate a bit from what the guys are saying here. Since the Zouave is not on the approved list, in my mind there must be something off. That's where I thought John Holland might step in - to tell you what you need to do to pass inspection. John publishes his email address on here all the time so I'm gonna do it. It is jh44ny@verizon.net. As per participating in the N-SSA, lots of good advice here. Bob Propst for one is a real snappy dresser. As for me, hard to find time to write on here as I write for the big league mags -- have one coming out in VIETNAM magazine in a year or so that should be a strong contender for a Pulitzer.
    (to anyone who might reference what I wrote here, please be careful in how you refer to "deviate" and "something off" in regard to me.)

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Small Arms inspections

Yakiman,
    I'm one of two inspectors in the Northwest region. Been doing it for about 5 years now, I think.

First off, the Small Arms Committee does not perform inspections for non members. There is lots of information
    on the bulletin board that could help you find out more about your particular musket. The only reasons to pursue
    an approval would be to compete in the N-SSA or to facilitate a sale to someone who does.

Small Arms Committee members, myself included, are usually happy to help you research your firearm short of doing
    a formal inspection. This could include a copy of an inspection sheet for use by firearm builders to produce an approved type.

Send me a PM to get my contact info if you'd like to discuss this in an email or by phone.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Since the Zouave is not on the approved list, in my mind there must be something off.
    Not necessarily. The Pietta 1860 Army was not approved until just a few years ago. Nobody had bothered to submit one. Likewise the Pedersoli Zouave was not approved until the last Nationals when someone brought one for submittal.

Yakiman:

You are in the Middle Atlantic Region. Here is their regional web site:

http://middleatlanticregion.org/

Here is their list of officers:
    http://middleatlanticregion.org/?page_id=39

Their email address is: middleatlanticregion@gmail.com

Their Inspector General of the Middle Atlantic Region (and the N-SSA for that matter) is Mike Santarelli. He is a great guy. Very active on Facebook and has been posting lots of pictures of his Razeed Springfield muskets he makes. He is also very knowledgeable about the Smith Carbine. His email is 1stpacavalry@gmail.com.

Mike should be able to get you a copy of the inspection sheet for the "Zouave" (Remington 1863 Contract Rifle) and help you determine if your gun could be approved for N-SSA competition or not.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Not necessarily. The Pietta 1860 Army was not approved until just a few years ago. Nobody had bothered to submit one. Likewise the Pedersoli Zouave was not approved until the last Nationals when someone brought one for submittal.
    Well my mind is officially boggled.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Looks like the perspective member with the Zouave NOW has all the info he needs, contacts and all.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cobb 1723V View Post
    Looks like the perspective member with the Zouave NOW has all the info he needs, contacts and all.
    Well, I have a perspective of many things and I am indeed a "prospective" member. Now that I have good information I can get my check in the mail and change that "prospective" to "unassigned recruit".

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The Armi-Jager is not on the Approved Arms List because they are inconsistent as to parts used and who made the barrels. The vast majority of Armi-Jager "Zouaves" have no maker's name or identification on them. If the barrel can be positively identified that it was manufactured by an approved maker, then it can be submitted to the Small Arms Committee for an "Individual Approval". If the barrel can not be identified as being made by an approved maker, such as Antonio Zoli, then it can not be approved for use in the N-SSA. If that would be the case, then the barrel can be replaced with an approved barrel.

Yakiman, the nearest active Small Arms Inspector to you is located in St. Paris, Ohio, which is fairly close to you. Most important at this time, "Is there a maker's ID on your barrel?"

Sincerely,
    John Holland
    National Small Arms Staff Officer
    Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    The Armi-Jager is not on the Approved Arms List because they are inconsistent as to parts used and who made the barrels. The vast majority of Armi-Jager "Zouaves" have no maker's name or identification on them. If the barrel can be positively identified that it was manufactured by an approved maker, then it can be submitted to the Small Arms Committee for an "Individual Approval". If the barrel can not be identified as being made by an approved maker, such as Antonio Zoli, then it can not be approved for use in the N-SSA. If that would be the case, then the barrel can be replaced with an approved barrel.

Yakiman, the nearest active Small Arms Inspector to you is located in St. Paris, Ohio, which is fairly close to you. Most important at this time, "Is there a maker's ID on your barrel?"

Sincerely,
    John Holland
    National Small Arms Staff Officer
    Chairman, Small Arms Committee
    I'm afraid the only markings on the bbl are the words "Armi-Jager", an xxx date code, the proof marks, .58, and a serial number. Guess I'll need to get a different musket. Thanks for the information,

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakiman View Post
    I'm afraid the only markings on the bbl are the words "Armi-Jager", an xxx date code, the proof marks, .58, and a serial number. Guess I'll need to get a different musket. Thanks for the information,
    Your best bet is to get in touch with a team near you, and get out to a shoot or two early in the season. This is exactly how I joined. I walked in with nothing, and within 2 weeks had everything I needed to get started. My musket, funny enough, was a spare from the Mid Atlantic IG, Mike Santarelli, mentioned above. It is also a Zouave, however, this mine is a Navy Arms imported one with a Zoli barrel. Keep an eye on stuff for sale on here, people post muskets all the time, or even post a "WTB" post.

People in the NSSA are notorious for stashing spares of everything, and if someone in the region passes, most of their stuff stays in the organization. Get in touch with a few teams, mention you have a Zouave you can't use, but are interested in joining. They may be able to dig up some spares of stuff to borrow or buy.
    John Westenberger
    Co. B. 1st PA Cav.