Thread: taylors

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

taylors

Does anyone have any experience fitting Taylors repro stocks to an original Smith carbine?

Dan Mastin
    11th Indiana

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    09575v
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Potential Nightmare......

I got a stock to put on a Pietta, that cracked in the wrist.

When the stock arrived the hole that the buttstock screw goes thru was not centered. From the looks of it, it is drilled from both directions for half the distance.

Just to get that to align properly it will have to be over-drilled, lined and then glass-bedded.

Will also mention that I returned the first stock and they sent me a second one, that was drilled the exact same way.

As for fitting one to an original, you would first have to deal with the above issue, and then I know that the buttplates are shaped different. Also on an original smith the rear screw on the trigger bow is a regular wood screw, on the repro it is a machined screw that goes into the tang of the receiver just like the front screw.... So there is that issue as well.
    Last edited by Joe Plakis, 9575V; 11-30-2021 at 01:25 PM.
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter