Thread: Dunlap Status

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Dunlap Status

I talked to a gentleman a few days ago and he stated that they "No longer had a stock carver". So I would suspect whatever they have there - might be the end.
    Jim Willauer
    CV-011 Cockade Rifles

Team:
    Battery H, First Regt. Ill. Vol. Light Artillery
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Dunlap Stocks

This might also affect The Rifle Shoppe stocks. I hope it doesn?t because I?ll be needing a stock in the next few months.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor
    I talked to Wayne a couple years ago at the nationals. He didnt think he would be in business too much long. Buying good grade Walnut was costing a fortunate. Next the demand for his stock had gone down to a couple of sales during the weekend. Plus all the individuals making parts had quit or passed away. Wayne that the haydays at the nationals had passed. Plus he was worried his stock maker was going to retire.
    Gerhardt Vikar Sr.
    Richmond Purcell's Battery
    NWT198

Former National IG
    Former NWT Regional Commander.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I fear some great critical craftsman of our era are reaching their epoch. One wonders if great stock makers and barrel makers and related craftsmen will ever rise again.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The gun building and repairing has certainly dropped off dramatically in the past several years. I started making repair forends over a year ago and have sold enough to help pay for the pantograph. At Fall Nat'ls I sold exactly one repair piece and that one was arranged for ahead of time. I have since listed them on here with no response. Between 25 and 30 years ago Allan Cockey and myself started a small business selling new cast barrel bands and other parts for the Mississippi rifle especially the short front band. We also sold the ramrods to go with that version of the Mississippi. We have sold as much as $2000 worth of parts at a National. I still have some of those parts. This fall I sold NONE! Yes, I'll say it has dropped off.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Dunlap Stocks

Back in the 1970s, it seemed everyone was building rifles and rifle muskets. Most of what was available were M1863 Remington Zouaves or original arms. Those were your choices. No one fielded a ?built up? arm because the only available parts were original.

Mike Yeck started building Rifle Muskets around 1973. He did so well with his Smith Carbines that he started building M1863 Rifle Muskets. He used original parts when available or a plethora of reproduction parts. After 1976, the market ?dried up? and Yeck sold off his remaining inventory of parts. The late Guy Owen bought Yeck?s barrel machine and tooling; along with his stock making machinery.

I bought a stock and barrel (M1861 pattern) from Owen; a quantity of small parts from Yeck; and an original lock and trigger assembly from the late Scott Moyer. Built a Rifle Musket that became a ?tack driver?.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Mike stopped making Rifles because the availability to get stocks was stopped. His supplier burned down. He never sold all off his remaining parts. What was left was sold at auction after his death by his grandson. Even today folks are still making up Smith Carbines from all of the his parts around.
    Last edited by Bruce Cobb 1723V; 10-19-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    7th Michigan Infantry
    V2777
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Talked to Dunlap today 20 of Oct.

I needed a forearm for a Potsdam 1809 musket, His reply was he was not making that particular model anymore. but he had one still in the shop. Asked me to send photos of the stock I had. So I complied sent them to him. I stated i would be willing to take a full stock and so I am now waiting to see if he calls me back. So it sounds like he is not preproducing but maybe make to order. So i hope he is able to keep on making them for us.

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by lite2bolt View Post
    I needed a forearm for a Potsdam 1809 musket, His reply was he was not making that particular model anymore. but he had one still in the shop. Asked me to send photos of the stock I had. So I complied sent them to him. I stated i would be willing to take a full stock and so I am now waiting to see if he calls me back. So it sounds like he is not preproducing but maybe make to order. So i hope he is able to keep on making them for us.

I was shown photos of three stocks for a Lorenz that he had and they ranged from 325 to 375. No forearms.
    Jim Willauer
    CV-011 Cockade Rifles

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Dunlap Stock status

Hi Everyone!!!

I just spoke to Daniel at Dunlap Woodcrafts this afternoon. They are compleatly out of wood and not sure when the situation will improve.

He said that when he has plenty of stocks?he has no orders. When he has no stocks?he gets multiple orders.

I was able to reserve an M1835 stock for an upcoming Winter project.

Not sure when the situation will improve?if ever.

Dave St John
    Artilleryman
    Batt H 1st Ills Light Artillery