Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .36 Cal and .44 load data?

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

.36 Cal and .44 load data?

With Nationals a week away Im prepping my stuff and I am going to shoot individuals for Pistol for the first time. What do people use for loads, and do most use roundball or conical. This is the one area where I waited until the end to prep for and its gonna be kind of rushed. I do plan on testing my loads prior to, just trying to get a feel for good baselines.

I have bot an 1851 Navy(.36 Cal) and an 1860 Army(.44 Cal)
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Round ball only. The bullet shaped thing will only hit the side of a barn on a good day. .451 for the .44. Crisco from cake decorator in each chamber for lube. Keep loads very light - heavier the load the wilder you'll shoot. Use filler if you need to. I've never heard of anyone using a .36 on the line. Try to find a guy named Norm to shoot along side. Guaranteed medal.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    in my 36 cal i use 21 grains of 3f goex shoots great! you can shoot less with filler to take up the space.
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Team:
    3rd US Regular Infantry
    7003V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I have only ever shot my 1851 at one regional, with dismal results. I have big hands so it never held well for me. HOWEVER, I have shot it at SASS shoots with 18 gr 3F, I do not remember the amount of cream of wheat, but it was enough so I could seat the .376 RB in the cylinder. I use crisco in cooler weather, MCM lube in hotter weather. It will hit steel.

Team:
    Region:
    Thanks to everyone who gave me input. I figured out 20Gr of 3F GOEX will hit where I want vertically using a 6 o'clock hold. I was not using cream of wheat but I think I will. Im going to figure out how much I need to use tonight after work to get the roundball to sit just under the edge of the cylinder.
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    As with any gun, you'll want to do a load workup, but generally speaking, most .36 guns do well around 12 grains of 3F and most standard .44s do will around 18 grains 3F.

Now the big iron like Walkers and Dragoons will need a lot more. My Walker like 45 grains 3F.

I have found filler to give better results than no filler.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    I hate to break it to the OP, but the top-tier shooters use solid-frame revolvers. My own Hege-Remington? 15 grains of Swiss 3f. .457 ball. Cream of Wheat filler, a dab of lube on top.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike McDaniel View Post
    I hate to break it to the OP, but the top-tier shooters use solid-frame revolvers. My own Hege-Remington? 15 grains of Swiss 3f. .457 ball. Cream of Wheat filler, a dab of lube on top.
    Its my first year being able to shoot Nationals, and I already own these two guns. Im not in it to win all kinds of medals, Im here to have fun and if I win cool beans, if not hey I wasnt at work.
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    As with any gun, you'll want to do a load workup, but generally speaking, most .36 guns do well around 12 grains of 3F and most standard .44s do will around 18 grains 3F.

Now the big iron like Walkers and Dragoons will need a lot more. My Walker like 45 grains 3F.

I have found filler to give better results than no filler.

Steve
    Steve do these have taller front sights because I started out at 15Gr 3f Goex with a 6 oclock hold and was about 6 inches high fron the top of the bullseye I was shooting at. Same problem with the 1860, it was shooting high using 22 Grains
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Hi Daryl,

Just about all of my BP revolvers shot 7" or so high at 25 yards. Nature of the beast. My only exception was my Pietta 1851 Navy that shoots point of aim at 25 yards.

I usually replace the front sight.

Also don't let them discourage you on your Colts. While I agree the solid-frame revolvers are generally superior a Colt can get the job done. This one is bone-stock except for the taller front sight.

Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor