Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt 2nd gen vs 3rd gen?

Region:
    Visitor

More good info.

Thanks. So far, I actually don't shoot with the N-SSA, though I would love to. But I am building a couple guns from scratch, and there is no way I am putting modern markings on them that are easily visible. I plan to mark the underside of the barrel thoroughly, and probably a few other places that are hidden as well, so there is no way it would ever be mistaken for original with any kind of an inspection. If this doesn't satisfy the SAC when I get around to going to some shoots, then I will get some other guns to shoot. I'm not trying to build fakes, but for my own enjoyment I want the absolute most authentic exterior on a reproduction gun as I can get. And I am going to thoroughly enjoy shooting them, hunting with them, and maybe even doing some reenacting with them if I ever get back into that.

I'm a little confused as to why there aren't more guys chiming in here that feel the same way. I mean, I absolutely love the guns that folks like Lodgewood build that are historically accurate to the nines externally.

As to the Colt, I don't see just removing the signature on the backstrap ever being considered a felony even if muzzleloaders are re-classified as firearms. But if it is, I'll pretend I swapped the backstrap out. :-D Which reminds me- I'm open to just swapping the part out if I can find a replacement that fits.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Region:
    Visitor

I wonder about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Rule (a) is meaningless:

a. In the interest of preserving the identity of original arms and parts, and in order to discourage counterfeiting of originals, the use on reproductions of original names,markings, and dates of their prototypes is discouraged.

"Discouraged" holds no force of prohibition. Basically it means, "It's allowed, but we don't like it." Besides, just about every commercial reproduction today uses original names, markings, and dates.

b. Manufacturers of reproduction arms are required to mark their arms with their own names, trademarks or symbols in such a manner as to be visible on the completed firearm to distinguish these from the originals.

I think all manufacturers do this. At least, I'm not aware of any that don't.

Steve
    So, I've heard of tons of scratch-built guns here on the forum, and Lodgewood has built a lot of mighty fine reproductions with only original style markings visible. I wonder if the SAC always requires visible modern markings, or if they allow some guns with modern markings under the barrel and etc?
    -Jordan Goodwin

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Custom built be sure to get SAC inspection criteria ahead of time so yer right on the money and don't have to go back and fix. They'll be glad to provide. No concern about any engraving or stamping you do or don't put on a gun you build -- very adverse to rubbing mfg stamps off.

Region:
    Visitor

Now THAT is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Custom built be sure to get SAC inspection criteria ahead of time so yer right on the money and don't have to go back and fix. They'll be glad to provide. No concern about any engraving or stamping you do or don't put on a gun you build -- very adverse to rubbing mfg stamps off.
    Thank you. That is really helpful. Hope they don't think taking the backstrap signature off a 3rd gen Colt is bad- cause that's what I'm about to do that everyone is a little disturbed by. The manufacturer's name is still right there on the barrel.:-D

As to the scratch built guns, I'm following the SAC's spec sheets on them.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Just so you know Jordan, the N-SSA has a separate parking lot for people that take backstrap signatures off.

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Just so you know Jordan, the N-SSA has a separate parking lot for people that take backstrap signatures off.
    bwahaha! I'm used to being treated "special". Too contrarian. :razz:
    -Jordan Goodwin

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    6194V
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    The manufacturer's name must remain on the firearm. I had a Bernadelli Mississippi that I handed to Zimmerman to defarb and restamp with instructions leave the manufacturer's name on the barrel. When I got it back the brand name was gone and I had to get an individual approval from the SAC. The only way I got that was the inspector recognized the breech. The manufacturer's name tells the world if the barrel is an approved one or not, at least on long guns.

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye2 View Post
    The manufacturer's name must remain on the firearm. I had a Bernadelli Mississippi that I handed to Zimmerman to defarb and restamp with instructions leave the manufacturer's name on the barrel. When I got it back the brand name was gone and I had to get an individual approval from the SAC. The only way I got that was the inspector recognized the breech. The manufacturer's name tells the world if the barrel is an approved one or not, at least on long guns.
    I won't be touching the colt address on the barrel. One of the reasons I want 2nd or 3rd gen guns in the first place. I just hate that dumb signature on the backstrap.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I may be wrong here as I didn't go back a RE-read the thread in it's entirety, but I think there may be some confusion over the use of the word 'legal'. I think that some posters may have been referring to what violates the rules of the N-SSA, and others may be referring to what actually violates the law.

Or I may be wrong, but that's the way I took it.