Thread: Jenks Naval (Mule Ear) Musket

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Jenks Naval (Mule Ear) Musket

Good Morning All,

Considering purchasing a Jenks Naval Musket with the "Mule Ear" side hammer. It is a smoothbore in 52cal in excellent condition that I would like to get to the range. I do have plenty of 52cal Round Balls but cannot find much information on loading. Suggestions on the powder charge. Thanks, Randy

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    6194V
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I had a Remington Jenks years ago that was in such poor shape it couldn't or shouldn't be fired. Even though you say yours is in excellent condition I would start with a light load, 20 grains, and watch for leakage. Slowly increase the load while checking. Based on what I remember about mine I would think 40 grains would be about the top end. Wear eye protection.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks! Been wearing eye and ear protection since taking my first shot 50 years ago. My advice to all too.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye2 View Post
    I had a Remington Jenks years ago that was in such poor shape it couldn't or shouldn't be fired. Even though you say yours is in excellent condition I would start with a light load, 20 grains, and watch for leakage. Slowly increase the load while checking. Based on what I remember about mine I would think 40 grains would be about the top end. Wear eye protection.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Randy,

I was not aware of a smooth bore.

What I have used in mine is 31 gr. Swiss 3f and a Lee 1.9cc dipper of cream of wheat with a .535" round ball in a paper cartridge made with hair curler paper.

Region:
    Here's a couple of pics to better explain what i did. I rolled the hair curler paper around a mandrel and folded the end like a roll of pennies. I did not glue them as I was afraid it might hinder the fire from burning into the cartridge. I found that creasing the fold tightly by rolling the end of the mandrel against a hard surface made it hold together OK. Not great, but OK. Slide the tube off the mandrel, add powder, then filler, then ball. I twisted the cartridge shut above the ball and cut off the tail with scissors. Then I dipped the ball end into molten lube (I use 50/50 beeswax and olive oil).

The notes page shows I determined the chamber volume behind the ball to be about 4cc. I haven't tried the 4.3cc volume yet, but there is a little more room than 4cc if you want to pack it in there tight. The numbers under the powder and filler headers are in cc's, as I was using Lee dippers. Note that if you add the two together, it comes to about 4.1cc (Just the way the Lee dipper volumes are spaced apart. The numbers out to the left are rough estimates of the powder weight in grains. I haven't tried any of the higher charges yet. It shot OK with the lightest one shown (2.2cc of powder and 1.9cc of Cream of wheat. I'm not keen on using more filler than powder, so that is the lowest charge I tried) and since I was just having fun, why abuse a 170 some odd year old gun, right?

Name:  notes.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  870.2 KBName:  cartridge.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  853.2 KB

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Good Morning Hal,

Thanks for that great information and images. When I make my Dreyse, Chassepot, and Carcano cartridges, I use a similar technique. However, the Jenks I am eying is the long gun and it was not modified for a paper cartridge. The "port" for the ball and powder is still the round one. From what I have read, you drop the ball in, lower the front of the weapon, pour your powder into the hole, and ram it all home. I believe you can do this with a Sharps too. Thanks, Randy

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Beautiful weapon but will be a bit messy. Randy

Name:  Jenks Port.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  106.0 KB

Region:
    Randy,

Sorry, I didn't think about it possibly being the unmodified version. You are absolutely right. There's no getting a cartridge through the round hole.

Now, wouldn't it be cool to have one of those Navy powder flasks with the anchor embossed into the side?

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Hal,

I will probably make measured cartridges and make sure my veneers are ready to open them up. Thanks, Randy.